Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz

KareemGT

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Hello !! i want to overclock my CPU cuz i want to play modern games like BF3,GTA IV & V ( soon )
With Better FPS ..
So Can i Overclock My CPU with this Specs ? :
( Dell Optiplex 745 full tower )
Motherboard : Dell 0HR330
RAM : 5 GB DDR2 @333
GPU : Gigabyte HD 7750 OC GDDR5
PSU : Dell 305W
CPU FAN : Dell Optiplex 745 full tower Standard Heatsink with Fan

if the answer is NO !! Plz Let me know what should i upgrade to over clock my Core2 Quad Q6600

well the motherboard that comes with your dell and basically all prebuilt computers do not allow overclocking at all. That is because they throw power supplies in their pcs that are just enough to run what they give you, and the boards are no where near capable of overclocking. To overclock you would need a new motherboard socket lga 775 that supports the q6600, and a new heatsink fan. Also to be able to play these newer games the q6600 is a capable cpu yet, just need a gpu that can play it better. I had a phenom x4 9650 @2.3ghz and a 9800gt playing low settings on BF3 at 1080p at barely 30fps with lag and only 4gb of ram, and since u have a core 2 quad (beats all first gen phenoms) a better gpu one extra gig of ram u should currently be able to play bf3 etc.

If u were to get just a new gpu then u would need a new power supply to handle a higher end card with prob 1-2 6pin pci-e connections so at least a 450watt to 500watt psu. You would also want to get a better psu to run ur current setup with a new motherboard to overclock as well.

Edit: Since the lack of finding a quality lga 775 motherboard brand new for a reasonable price did u consider a newer pc?
Also for overclocking temps are everything and being prebuilt/OEM there not well known for great airflow so consider a new case?

cmi86

Distinguished

There are several 775 boards still available from major manufacturers on newegg for around $55 The only problem is that they are all G-41 chip sets which are only going to let that Q-6600 up to about 3.0-3.2 Ghz. Idk if that's enough for the OP or not.

In this case only by using SetFSB and PLL number, this is the only way in current situation, and well, the pinmod. Q6600 is very popular with pinmod.
For other ways you will need different motherboard and new Windows, since Dell sourced OS can not install on non Dell motherboard.
If money are tight, I would recommend getting more or less good GPU first and see the results, if unsatisfied, get new parts and use this GPU in new build.