Computer build opinions and advice?

WheresMyGoat

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much a beginner in the world of building computers and all that. I've been considering this build in question for some time, I just wanted to ask a community who most likely know 10x as much as I do! I plan on some gaming and a small amount of graphics work.

I'll post a component list, please tell me any suggestions, so long as it isn't a huge price hike (say if I have been stupid in terms of compatibility). It's around £800 at the moment with postage and that. Also, if someone could suggest a good network card, I'd happily marry them, as said, I'm clueless....

Intel i5 3570k CPU (Ivy bridge, 4x3.4GHz, 6Mb L3 cache)
Asus P8Z77-V m/board
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 GPU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM (2x4GB)
Seagate 1TB SATA 3 Performance Hard Drive
Asus DRW 24x Internal SATA DVD drive
550W Silverstone Gold Modular PSU
Corsair Vengeance M90 Performance Mouse
Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard
CiT Vantage-R case

Thanks!

Marcopolo123

Honorable
The i5-3570k is a good basis.
The gtx660 will handle high-end games in lowered settings pretty good, but i prefer a hd 7870 LE/XT because its stronger and has a better price/performance.
Silverstone psus... I dont know whether they are good or not...but i z
Think in that price range there are better Alternatives.

WheresMyGoat

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Thanks, if you could elaborate? Don't worry if you can't

Thats a very decent gamer . You have a powerful processor and a good quality mb .

The graphics card is good enough for 1080p resolution , but more money spent here would improve game details . If you can afford it then a 660ti makes sense , and so does a Radeon 7870 XT .
Id rather spend money on a graphics card than on an expensive mouse and keyboard .

Make sure you use a 64 bit version of Win 7 or 8

WheresMyGoat

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Thanks, I was thinking of the 660Ti, but it does add £100 or so...I'll have to see how money works out

A critical issue is your monitor resolution . More pixels means slower frame rate , or lower image details .

For a standard hi def 1080p screen the 660 is OK , but the 660ti is worth the difference .
If you are using a lower definition screen then stick with the 660