MSI's Z87 XPower Mobo Will Feature 32-Phase Power Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
Before everyone gets their overclocking hopes up, they may want to wait and see how well Intel's iVRM can actually cope with overclocking. If the iVRM ends up capping overclocking results, even the best motherboard imaginable won't be able to help that by much.

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009

I heard the rumor is that Z97 will support SATA 3.2 and DDR4. Just a rumor though. Pretty sure Z87 will still be SATA III.

Well, MSI already has haswell chips to test their mobos on. now I know that half of salesmenship is showmenship, but they won't spend money and put on 32-phases if the chip can't OC. You have to remember that all the mobo manufacturers have a bit of an OC war going on and everyone trades the OC crown back and forth just so they can brag about how good their flagship board is. now you won't be hitting those crazy clocks without LN or liquid helium, but it's still a good sign :)

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
I'm just glad I didn't upgrade to SB or IB yet. Still going with my C2D 8400 and GTX 460. I guess this haswell thingy will be good for years to come for me :)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

True, 8-series is SATA 3, 9-series is probably 3.2. If 9-series is for Skylake however, then it's going to be DDR4, otherwise, it wont be.

X89 will be DDR4, though.

InvalidError

Titan

The z97 does not support any memory whatsoever since the memory controller is in the CPU just like every other Intel CPU since the i3/5/7 were introduced.

Mainstream DDR4 will begin next year with Haswell-E and Broadwell.

colson79

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

You have been missing out on some great CPU's that will still be good for a while yet. Early benchmarks show Haswell won't be a big increase over IB.

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Whoa, two 8 pins on the board? I'm still on an x38 board and planning to upgrade this summer. I hope my PSU can power these high end Haswell boards!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, you're right actually. Was thinking in terms of boards having DDR4 slots.

Not necessarily. I haven't upgraded since the Core 2 series either. It has served us well and saved us money...and 15% over IVB is a HUGE increase over a Core 2 Duo/Quad. So we'll get our value for money.

Both upgrade paths have their advantages.

rrbronstein

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013

Why would you bother upgrading a 2600k when it still has plenty of oomph? Theres better things to upgrade lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.