hd 7870 myst edition installation problems

mkamprat

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Hi everybody,
I just recently purchased the power color hd 7870 myst edition graphics card from new egg as an upgrade from my nvidia gtx 550 ti. My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H with an integrated graphics card that will only allow the screen to come on when the new graphics card is not in the system. I have tried several things which have had the same result so far. I am now in the process of downloading drivers for the new card to install before putting the card in the machine. I have cleared all the drivers of the previous card off the system already and this is literally the last thing I can try...unless somebody has any bright ideas. Before anyone says anything about disabling the motherboard graphics card I have tried that and it still results in a black screen. The card runs when plugged into the psu so I dont think it's dead. Me and my brother have gone through several trials and errors to make sure that this was the last resort. I will update if I get it working but if I'm just being an idiot and not understanding something please let me know.

Tree Smut

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
I just purchased 5 of these cards, 4 from newegg and 1 from amazon. Ive been going through hell for 3 days, not because of the card but because of all the issues everything else becomes.

I find that if you boot with a DOSUSB and use ATIflash and use command atiflash -i (to find your card adapter numbers) then (also putting the newest or older (i like .028 better, its more stable at higher clocks but I think thats because the voltage is locked, in .032 the voltage is unlocked) bios on the DOSUSB stick you would type atiflash -p # rom.rom where# stands for the card adapter number. Flash the bios and reboot. Hopefully the motherboard grabs it.

I also heard you need a motherboard with a newer than 2012 bios but my DFI LanParty P35 was last updated in 2008 and its running 3 cards at 1245mhz @ 1.2 volts (memory is underclocked to 750 for thermal) and they run 24/7 giving me 100% cpu usage and 530MH/s per card..

So yeah..

mkamprat

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Yeah ...you were right...definitely need to flash the bios. I actually read that in another post right after I posted this.

I got it all working, I just checked for the bios update from my motherboards site and then put that on a flash drive and updated from q-flash in the bios menu...thats the program given with the motherboard used for flashing bios.

So def check those bios updates...thanks for the response tree but your deal sounds a bit more complicated than mine :) (and more badass of a setup at that)