lower performance than expected from new build

chad haynes

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Ok, so just built a system for the first time in about 10 years. Setup is as follows
His Radeon 7850 1gb
AMD a6 processor (2.6ghz stock, currently OC@ 3.2ghz)
AS rock Mobo
4gb corsair vengeance 1600 ddr3 (single slot)
600w powersupply (42Amps max on 12v rail)

Looking around before I went with this graphics card, it seemed to be able to do ultra settings on any game at 1920x1080 resolution at least 30fps or better. I'm using my 32" hdtv as the display and do have it on gaming mode to elimate the frame smoothing that tv's do normally. Anyways, I tried to run both bioshock infinite maxxed out as well as tomb raider, and can't achieve playable frame rates at the 1920 resolution. I haven't ran fraps on it, but I know its lower than 30fps. How can I solve this issue? I've overclocked the radeon up to 950mhz (from 860) as well as the ram up to 1300 (as opposed to 1200)(video card ram im talking here). Is my processor bottlenecking in these games? ( i know the amd apu series aren't the best choice for games, but intel was way over my budget.) Would adding a second stick of ram to run dual channel help me out at all? Just looking for any suggestions on how to get the most out of this system as its not performing quite as well as I'd hoped. My uniengine heaven benchmark was 824 at the stock settings (1080p, normal tess, 4x aa, etc). I tried overclocking higher (as I've seen numerous people take this card up to like 1050 and higher , but can't get it to run through the heaven benchmark without it freezing up at anything over 950. That may be a PS issue or something else, but im not sure. Any ideas to improve, or am I getting about what is expected from the chosen components?

CPU bottleneck, that A6 just isn't meant to be used for anything more intensive than word processing and very light gaming.
Also why did you get an APU with the intention of putting a dedicated graphics card on? Defeats the purpose of them.

Most I can suggest you do is try to get a refund on the mobo and CPU, then get yourself a decent AM3+ motherboard and a Phenom II X4 965 processor.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727