Double Encryption possible but is it more secure ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,

I just tried encrypting a Partition twice using two methods & it did so with no problem but is it really more secure ?

I used "Folder Lock" software to create a container & put the entire partition data in it.

Then I encrypted that partition using Windows BitLocker with a different password & it it all went smooth.

Then I tried to decrypt both of them to make sure that I do get all my data back & I did.

Thus this was a case of encrypting an encrypted container which made me think, is it more secure if I used two different password for each encryption ?

Need opinions please.

Thanks

Bitlocker, or single encryption, is fine. The only thing you will do by double encrypting is make it twice as hard to get your valuable data back should you lose the password(s) or have some other type of glitch.

Use common sense - don't store the passwords on the encrypted volume. Keep backups of the passwords/keys somewhere that is easily accessable to you, but not others,...

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

If I lose the password &/OR key, I can't recover my data anyway whether single OR double encryption right ?

The idea is to make the cracker think how many layers of encryption is he going to have to crack if he succeeds cracking the first layer.

Is my reasoning any good ?

I am just trying to learn & appreciate all comments.

If you have a good encryption algorithm, then you only need one. Bitlocker is secure. It works in association with TPM (Trusted Platform Module).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

Bitlocker s designed to protect data by providing encryption for entire volumes. By default it uses the AES encryption algorithm in CBC mode with a 128 bit key, combined with the Elephant diffuser for additional disk encryption-specific security not provided by AES. Also, if configured, bitlocker is able to encrypt using a 256 bit key.

If a thief is determined, it won't matter how many levels of encryption you have.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Is BitLocker more secure than TrueCrypt & why TrueCrypt is more popular besides the fact that it is free ?

Also how do I configure BitLocker to 256 bit key ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Many Thanks.
Really appreciate the links.

Jackie2

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
If a password takes a 1000 to a million years to crack, surely it would be more safe to encrypt your files multiple times, taking into consideration new technology and better hardware in the future they could dramatically decrease the amount of time it takes to crack passwords. I'm by no means an expert, I have very little knowledge when it comes to encryption and security but this just my theory.