WiFi speeds question, do I need a dedicated WiFi chip or is integrated ok?

Is this normal for internet host to do this?

• Yep. Darn crooks!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. Your end.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset
Intel 82579
Max LAN Speed
10/100/1000Mbps

These are the specs from my integrated chip that is on my mobo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

(Outdated sandy bridge, why wait for 5% and high temps :O)

But anyways, I recently "upgraded" from 40mb/s 5up to 50d 10u speeds. Century link to Comcast if your curious.

Now, this is my Speedtest.
2668298401.png

Not bad I guess, but not even close to the advertised speed. I understand that is how the companies get you, they say UP TO 50mb/s, but 1/2 of that? Are you kidding me? If this about right, or is something wrong? I called Comc. and they said that the speeds were fine on their end. Also, from my old 40 down host, I got about 3.0 at max.

I tested this with a 1 year old laptop Ethernet and it got 30d 11up. Better.. that made me wonder if I should get a dedi. WiFi card. What do you all think?

And yes, I feel 500KB/s is worth the price of a card.

(I do love the ping, though. Do you have Comcast? What do you pay for and what do you get?)

HillBillyAsian

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
you take that upload speed and run with it lol. besides that just a speedtest. it's only giving you a roundabout of what you're getting, depends on the hops and how much the server your accessing is being used. never go "speedtest said this and i'm not getting my speeds". and simple ways of making sure is, checking the channel of you're router and checking the ones in your area so you are getting a clean channel, what's the signal you're getting? that can also slightly effect speeds. heck even a microwave near. inbetween you and the router can cause a small issue too. Anyway rerun the speed test to servers further away and see the speeds.