Intel Developing the Efficient Ivy Bridge Pentium 2127U CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
This an ad? It certainly reads like one, considering IVB based Pentiums have been out for a while. I mean, you could have made it less like "OH LOOK" and more like, hey they're doing this, does it make sense, is it new, etc.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Efficient CPU? This is a 17W dual-core Pentium at 1.9 GHz with no Turbo Boost or hyperthreading. Intel has several 17W dual-core, hyperthreading Core i7's that run at 1.9-2.1 GHz and will Turbo Boost up to 3.0-3.3 GHz. They even have a 13W dual-core, hyperthreading Core i7 that runs at 1.5 and boosts up to 2.6. And all of those i7's run HD 4000 graphics on top.
17W is a high TDP for a chip with performance this low. Not everyone needs the power of an i5 or i7 but less performance should at least net you less power consumption and better battery life. It will be good to see Intel start to scale their more powerful and efficient Core-i architecture down into lower-TDP chips in the coming years.

modern chips are all pretty fast, it is simply a matter of features.
My work PC recently kicked the bucket, and I replaced it (was a core2quad) with a lowly ivy bridge Pentium G processor and could not be happier with it (as an office PC anyways). What makes Pentiums feel slow is not the CPU itself, but all of the other supporting hardware. I paired mine with 4GB of DDR 1600, a SSD, and a $50 GPU for proper multi monitor support (610 or 620), and everything runs great.
Take that same CPU and put it in a system with 2GB of ram, a cheap HDD, and rely on onboard video and ya, that would be one frustrating machine to use... but it has nothing to do with the processor.

For office work, which is what that machine is built for, it is just as fast as my wife's i3 or my i7 system at home. Playing games it would probably not hold up too well, and doing post production it would simply crawl, but it dosn't need to do any of that stuff. For browsing the web and doing office work then instant is simply instant, and there is no perceptible improvement across the board going all the way from a Pentium up to a 6 core i7.

Status
Not open for further replies.