Dual card only using one of its available GPU's

John M McCombs

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Hi everyone this is my first forum post, and I am having a lot of trouble. I just purchased a Visiontek 6870 x2 which as the name describes is two 6870's on one PCIe card. However whenever I am playing a game only one of the GPU's is being used according to gpu-z. Crosfire is enabled in CCC so I am really confused.

Also, I have a single XFX 6870 DD edition that I plan on tri-firing after I get the dual card working well.

John

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That will be an interesting setup. It should eliminate most micro-stutter with 3 GPS.
Are you sure the games you are running when you check GPU-Z are CF aware? Latest drivers? Run Furmark and see if both GPUs are active during the stress test.

John M McCombs

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

Actually no I am not, I primarily play Guild Wars 2, and I have heard that it doesn't play nice with Crossfire, do you know of any free to download games that I could test? When I run Futuremark it says that I am using all three (I decided to hook up the 3rd just to see how it went.) but Gpu-Z and Afterburner don't show any usage, here are my results:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4675230

Are those normal? And it says my drivers are not approved, I just updated them.

Thanks,
John

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
3DMark often returns that driver error message for me too. It's like they don't "approve" a driver until it's been out long enough for the next version to arrive.

Your scores are extremely low for an i5-3570K and triple CF. I don't know what to make of that. 3DMark Vantage seems to be aware of the 3 cards (GPUs). What kind of score do you get with just the dual GPU card?
Here is my score with my i5-2500K (mild OC) and 2 x EVGA GTX 570 SSCs:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4497066

John M McCombs

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
I tried to run it with the dual card only, which I must have crossfire enabled for correct?
Anyways I tried running it and it was FREAKING out on me, the screen was like duplicating and the image was jumping all over the place, then it just froze half way through.

Now even more confused :/
John

John M McCombs

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Sooooooooo come to find out that multi gpu support is only available on the advanced pay-for version of 3D Mark Vantage. That would explain why I am not scoring higher and afterburner is only showing 1 gpu being used.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

You may have struck on the answer. I always buy the Futuremark programs because I bench a number of gaming PCs, and never gave that a thought.

John M McCombs

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
Thanks for all of your help!
I had a friend bring over his 6870 and tried to crossfire to ensure that it wasn't my Mobo or configuration. It worked PERFECTLY I then tried the exact same with the 6870x2 and it kept failing, so I am arranging a refund. :/

Thanks again,
John