What Size Computer Monitor should I get?

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
About me:
Gamer
Reader
Student-Typist, Basic Graphics Editing

I am looking at getting an external monitor for my laptop. Am currently using a 27" LED Monitor, but am finding it a little hard to see the full screen while sitting at my desk. I am able to take it back an exchange it for a different monitor.

Current monitor is a 1920x1080p 27" IPS LED, I would like to keep to the 1920x1080p as it is just right for everything that I do.

While gaming I usually sit about 18" away from the screen with the way my desk is designed. I can't move the monitor further away. This is the biggest area of issue as i can't see the whole screen when I am sitting like this. When reading or watching movies I usually sit 18"-34" (The 27" is great at the viewing distance of 34" away.) But Gaming and typing isn't very workable from this distance.

So my question is, what size monitor is best for these distances? I know that with a lot of stuff I can zoom in, so if it's too small I could zoom in on it to read it.

Oh I bought the Monitor from Best Buy on an Ad match, so as long as I can find the same model (if one is suggested.) They should price match it. But I wish to keep to anything Bestbuy may have as it's easier for me to do just an exchange and get a refund on the difference that way I don't need to wait on a refund to buy another monitor.

My laptop is a 17.3" 1080p display just for reference.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a 22" 1920x1080 at a viewing distance of about a metre (39") and it's pretty well perfect, I did have a 24" display that passed away due to a sudden rainstorm and open window but at that distance it was really a little too large for normal uses-but it was great for movies :).
For non gaming, IPS rules-great viewing angles and good colours.
Given you limited space, I'd go for a 22" IPS panel, 24" is just going to be too large for general use.