H77 - Dual video cards without Crossfire

OsbourneCox

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I'm confused on installing multiple video cards. I currently have a computer with 2 cards / 4 monitors. I'm looking to build a new computer and plan to use my existing two video cards to start with and decide how to upgrade from there.

I read that H77 mobos don't allow for dual cards so I've been restricting my search to Z77 boards. But the more I've read, the more I wonder if it just means that one can't use Crossfire/SLi on a H77 board. Shouldn't two regular video cards work in any motherboard?

Google has led nowhere because everything goes down the path of Crossfire/SLi now that 4+ output video cards are readily available.

Any idea?

G

hey. and no to your question..the motherboard has to be designed to run to 2 or more V-cards, either Nvidea(SLI), or AMD(CF), and now more recently either or, your choice to the cards. but they need to be identical hardware models and not so much the brand. hope this helps you.

OsbourneCox

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

So my 7 year old motherboard is able to run with two video cards without a problem (again, just for productivity, no Crossfire/sli) but new motherboards prevent two video cards from working independently?

Sorry to be thick, I'm just surprised by this.

G

no problem, i see that H77 M-boards are Intel based if I'm correct, which would explain why you can run video that way. I myself currently run Intel I5-2500K, with the video card built on these chips, it makes it video choice flexible.
I mainly use use the HD7950 VaporX for everyday stuff and gaming..my intent to use the on board video will be to use my computers on board video for running thru my projector when i want to use the computer in my basement on a 126" screen..(single computer- two video sources/ two keyboards/mouses in different locations via A/B switch box)

AMD's version of video on chip is the Socket FM2 cpu's