Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Apple Returns Millions of Defective iPhone 5 Smartphones

Last response: in News comments
April 25, 2013 2:45:29 PM

that's what you get for going with the lowest bidder...
April 25, 2013 2:48:32 PM

Its that top end overworked chinese quality...
Related resources
April 25, 2013 2:51:12 PM

Does this mean Apple is giving Foxconn the boot? Hard to believe, unless they found an even cheaper manufacturer.
Anyways, there goes another myth (Apple's flawless manufacturing). It's just another manufacturer, nothing special.
April 25, 2013 2:52:56 PM

In other news eBay is reporting a sudden very large spike in iPhone 5 listings.
Anonymous
April 25, 2013 3:06:15 PM

So glad I left behind the Iphone at the 4th one last year. They can have it.
April 25, 2013 3:08:01 PM

Foxconn should send them back to Apple:
"Your holding them wrong"
April 25, 2013 3:12:27 PM

icepick314 said:

If they are using the "lowest bidder", I think what the price of the iPhone would be if they went with someone more expensive.
April 25, 2013 3:27:40 PM

200 Bucks in labor makes me laugh my but off. More like 2 yen.
April 25, 2013 3:42:02 PM

what? i heard from every iphone user i know that their phone *never* breaks :p 
April 25, 2013 3:45:52 PM

sun-devil99 said:
icepick314 said:

If they are using the "lowest bidder", I think what the price of the iPhone would be if they went with someone more expensive.

It shouldn't actually even be this bad, apple has a much higher markup than other companies.
April 25, 2013 5:58:27 PM

icepick314 said:

Um, it's called private business, you're supposed to consider all costs and benefits, and go with the lowest bidder. Otherwise you're just a terrible businessman, not that there's anything wrong with that of course. Personally I would say this further proves Apple's new management's inadequacies when compared to the Jobs era.
April 25, 2013 6:02:55 PM

$200 bucks in labor? What are they made by hand? Is the glass hand blown, the case forges with hammer and anvil and circuit boards soldered with a soldering iron? Haven't they heard of robots in China?
I know circuit boards were made by robots in the 80's probably a lot of robotics going back to the first microprocessor.. Their couldn't be more than 15 man minutes of labor in one of those. Perhaps those Chinese workers are making $800 an hour.
April 25, 2013 6:23:25 PM

even a goal of 90% good phones is pathetic! I know that Quality Assurance is a foreign concept to the Chinese, but that is ridiculous
April 25, 2013 6:31:33 PM

Made in china But design by Apple.
so who's at fault?
April 25, 2013 6:57:45 PM

Foxconn might might be the only vendor that can do the quality and volume that Apple needs. Oh yes, they can go to Samsung, but good look asking them to build you your next iPhone and iPads with any excess capacity they might have.
April 25, 2013 7:23:41 PM

Latest Foxconn memo:
The beatings will continue until product quality improves.
Thank you,
Mgmt
April 25, 2013 7:23:58 PM

If you are dumb enough to buy an iPhone, then you deserve the worst and you are getting it!
April 25, 2013 7:52:56 PM

I work in a locally owned Verizon store, this may explain why we won't be receiving any more Iphone 5 shipments for 2-6 weeks.
April 25, 2013 11:44:59 PM

ddpruitt said:
Foxconn should send them back to Apple:
"Your holding them wrong"

Try "You're holding them wrong"... Sigh

English is my second language and I can get that...

Joke's getting old, fandroids need to get better material for trolling.

Sent from my Nexus 7
April 26, 2013 12:07:22 AM

My 3gs outlasted many of my friends iphone 5's and 4's. Tacky, cheap and weak models with the 5 being far worse than the 4. And lets not forget the software bugs. Took them 2 years to work out the software bugs with my 3gs, now its great. By 2015 the ip5 might work ok but probably wont last that long to even see. They certainly need to lift there game right now or they will fall.
April 26, 2013 2:24:13 AM

It is certainly made in China.
April 26, 2013 5:25:45 AM

Gotta' love the complete bias here. Here's how it goes:
1) Apple chooses to outsource manufacturing
2) Apple picks lowest price supplier
3) Apple gets the 'quality' it pays for
4) Apple wants gold quality at tin prices
5) Foxconn will tell Apple to CTS, since Apple chose to be beholden to them
6) Apple will blame, sue, etc.
7) Apple won't realize they're shooting themselves in the foot until it's too late.
April 26, 2013 5:27:36 AM

7) Apple won't realize they're shooting themselves in the foot until it's too late.
April 26, 2013 5:46:28 AM

This is what apple gets for it's greedy high margin top end product made from the cheapest manufacturer it could find.
Apple fanboys, haha you're buying junk.
April 26, 2013 5:49:27 AM

Chinese quality strikes again! How many were returned for lead paint content?
April 26, 2013 7:34:09 AM

lamorpa said:

Love the Droidrage here is twisting reality - Are you the next Steve Jobs?
What you are failing to state is that this an agreement between Foxconn and Apple, no one is suing, no one is blaming, the return of the phones is an automatic process - If they don't meet the quality, they are returned.

P.S. Foxconn makes quite a few of the electronics you so dearly love ;) 

Sent from my Nexus 7
April 26, 2013 7:43:34 AM

gggplaya said:
This is what apple gets for it's greedy high margin top end product made from the cheapest manufacturer it could find.
Apple fanboys, haha you're buying junk.

Now for the ugly reality:

Haha, iPhone 4, never had an issue with it - until I broke the glass - Apple replaced it, kindly and I sold it for $275 after 2 years of reliable service...

iPhone 5, no issues, since I got it on day one...

Nexus 7 (I still love you, even though you've got warts) replaced 3x for faulty antenna and screen separation. Wifi, screen flicker, and Bluetooth issues from 4.1.x to 4.2.2 made the tablet unusable in anything but a dark room and forget about streaming music.

I'm on this list of people explaining the issue to Google, no response which was very Apple like...

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=3963...

They fixed it finally after a zillion updates in 4.2.2 - I bought it in August, the final fix came in February, that's about 6 months of pain. I am grateful that Google is honoring their warranty on the screen separation. I hope the Nexus 7^2 doesn't have as many issues - I'll wait a few months and scan code.google.com to see if it's worth investing my time in another Android product or go back to Apple.

Do you even own an Apple product to make accusations and insult people or are you talking out of your ass?

Sent from my Nexus 7
April 26, 2013 4:14:09 PM

@sundragon
Nice try for comparing a $200 tablet to a $700-800 smart phone if you buy it outright!
Apple users' popular quote is "it just works!". Well, guess what? those very same users never stop bugging me from fixing their Macbook Pro/Mac Pro to run professional software from Adobe, Autodesk, Avid..etc. When Apple stuffs work, "it just works". However, they forgot to mention all the other times, when no matter what they try, Apple stuffs just don't want to work...because that is the way Apple wants.
I just laugh when my $2000 Dell M4700 run circle around my co-worker $3700 decked out rMBP every time we were working with Adobe CS6. Most people think the Macbook Pro is the best notebook, and they never heard about the HP Elitebook, Dell Precision notebook or the Lenovo's W series...like always, they are clueless.
When doing comparison, it would be nice to compare similar class/price range items!
April 26, 2013 4:15:15 PM

@sundragon
Nice try for comparing a $200 tablet to a $700-800 smart phone if you buy it outright!
Apple users' popular quote is "it just works!". Well, guess what? those very same users never stop bugging me from fixing their Macbook Pro/Mac Pro to run professional software from Adobe, Autodesk, Avid..etc. When Apple stuffs work, "it just works". However, they forgot to mention all the other times, when no matter what they try, Apple stuffs just don't want to work...because that is the way Apple wants.
I just laugh when my $2000 Dell M4700 run circle around my co-worker $3700 decked out rMBP every time we were working with Adobe CS6. Most people think the Macbook Pro is the best notebook, and they never heard about the HP Elitebook, Dell Precision notebook or the Lenovo's W series...like always, they are clueless.
When doing comparison, it would be nice to compare similar class/price range items!
April 27, 2013 11:22:08 AM

"Foxconn is losing around 1.6 billion Yaun ($257 million USD)".
What is 'Yaun' man? it's 'Yuan'
April 29, 2013 1:59:53 PM

dalethepcman said:
"the fact that Foxconn has recently declared its worst revenue statistics in over ten years"
What are you smoking? Foxconn had NT $100B ($3.6B USD) in profits last year, which is a record HIGH.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57576228-37/apple-sup...

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/finan...

There is a difference between revenues and profit. The above link I provided shows that since 2009, Foxconn had flat revenues but net profits did rise because of cost of goods. Please remember that Foxconn is a multinational company, in that they have factories in a lot of other countries, not just China, and some of their profits may be attributable to Apple, but their profit will probably be heading south due to the returns they will have to pay for, but that probably wouldn't be shown until the 2013 financial statements get posted.

I think this is a problem that Apple will be facing in the future with part suppliers that are not mostly from Samsung. They will be moving from a major part supplier to smaller less proven manufactures that will affect the quality of their units. Foxconn quality is usually exceptional, it is a possibility that a lot of the problems could be coming from other substandard parts from lesser manufacturers.
June 17, 2013 10:01:08 PM

Itz a piece of bull shit with the only DUAL-CORE, WITH SMALL SCREEN SIZE, WORST BATTERY BACKUP, LARGER APPS SIZE IN I OS, VERY VERY EXPENSIVE

buyers want better go for an HTC one/Samsung galaxy S IV

!