1 loop or two loops

dylanc0100

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
so ya i wanna know if i put two loops on my pc so one loop on my cpu with one pump and a 2 fan res and i take a nother pump on my gpus eg 3x690 and the res is a 3 fan res will it be cooler than if i put both on a single loop eg pump rad cpu rad gpus rad res then in to the pump agen will it be warmer or colder and i am going to past a few stuff if you can help me and mu buddy with if its possibel plz thanks guys I've started dabbeling around again after a long period of not doing anything in this sector, and have seen some serious advances in the liquid cooling solutions.

But here's where I start to ask the right questions:
1. What is the difference between 1/2, 1/4/ 3/8 connections, pipes barbs?
2. What size radiator and how many is needed?
3. Does all-in-one kits really work, are they worth the cost?
4. How does one select the size of reservoir?

And now for some additional technical info..

Quick Connectors.... it seems to be the way everyone is going but what are you trying to do? You are trying to build the best cooling solution you can, trying to get the components to run at as low a temp as you possibly can get them. So when looking at liquid, what causes heat with regards to any liquid? Friction!!! By adding anything valve, temp gauge, connectors etc anything that can cause friction you are in essence adding heat to the liquid. However small the amount is it's still being added, and bear in mind that the longer the tubing is the more friction you are adding. Looking at all the debates regarding TDP, Watts etc. I've spoken to some of the engineers working here with us, and they came back with the following:
What is the maximum wattage on the PSU?

It all boils down to the following - if you have a 100W PSU, you can supply a max of 100W heat in total.
So then why worry about all the other calculations?
If you can only supply X wattage to the system should one not try and work on a solution that can dissapate the X wattage? instead of trying to calculate induvidual components max outputs, wastage and heat generated?

Yes the chances will be that you will have way overkill cooling for your system, but at least you know that you will always have the optimal cooling possible at this stage with your setup? Forget about all the technical specs, gold rated, platinum rated, 94% max total power the PSU can deliver of total displayed etc etc. and lets dumb it down.

PSU states 1300W, so max heat it can generate is 1300W? or is there something I'm missing??
thanks guys will realy help us hay

1. Size of the tubing. In practical terms, it dictates what size fittings you get, performance wise it doesnt make much difference unless your using smaller than 1/4" tubing.
2. That comes down to the TDP of the components being cooled by the loop (including the pump, can assume ~20W here).
3. Yes they do really work, but not to the level of a custom loop. If your concerned their worth the cost, wait till you see the cost of the custom loop you will need.
4. The size of the reservoir has no real impact to performance, go with what works in your situation.

Hmm...
Friction between water and tubing isn't whats causing heat, much more the electrical furnaces that are dotted around the computer. Also the more tubing you have, the more area the heat has to dissipate from, so I think that's covered.

OK, you have a 1300W PSU.
Are you drawing 1300W under peak load? (I doubt it).
Is literally everything that draws power being cooled? (water-cooled fans and HDD's anyone?).
Are the components being cooled even capable of drawing that full 1300W? (I doubt it).
Are the components being cooled 100% efficient at turning all of their power draw into heat? (they aren't).
Are you willing to literally fill your computer full of radiators you don't need, to combat a theoretical 1300W heat output? (I doubt it).

Calculate the power draw of all the components in the loop under load. Then look up reviews on radiator to see how much they can dissipate under various fan RPM's. Figure out how much radiator space you need to dissipate your load TDP.
The PSU plays no part in this calculation.

You seem to have a lot of misconceptions about water-cooling and many gaps in your knowledge, I suggest reading through the sticky. It will explain everything you need to know to get a start on what your doing.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky