Ultimate 3D Gaming Solution for AMD Users !! (With 3D Vision Monitors!!)

astrotom

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hello people! Today I am here to bring an amazing solution to a problem many AMD Video card users face. As everyone with an AMD video card will know, there are very limited options for 3D gaming or entertainment. Everyone who dreamed of 3D gaming with an AMD card will have surely met with disappointment seeing how NVIDIA's dominance in 3D gaming has left us AMD gamers with no quality options.

The current status:-

Currently, if you own an AMD card and wish to play games in 3D you have the following options:
1. Hooking up a 3d TV via hdmi and using AMD HD3D using a 3rd party software like Tridef.
2. Using AMD HD3d certified monitors like Samsung 950D, etc
3. Using Nvidia 3D Vision certified monitors which support HDMI 3D (like Acer HN274H) and have built in 3d emitters.

Of the above only option 2 offers the best experience as you are not limited to HDMI restrictions of 720p@60 or 1080p@24. However the problem is its almost impossible to find an HD3D certified monitor unlike 3D Vision monitors. The only HD3D monitor currently available are the Samsung monitors 750D and 950D. However they are expensive and their quality is not what you would call the best. Moreover, they are no longer supported by Samsung.

My Solution

About a week back I had myself asked a question on this forum on how I could get 3D working on an Nvidia monitor with an AMD card. However, I like I had feared, there was no solution.

However I was determined to find a solution as I knew it was not impossible and believed that we required no special monitors for 3D gaming. So now after about a week from my first question on this forum, I have finally got 3D working on AMD card with a 3D Vision monitor which totally blows away normal AMD HD3D methods and equals if not surpass Nvidia's 3D Vision technology!

Since I myself didn't have a capable PC and parts, I sought help from my friend. So all the testing has been done on my friend's rig.

Here is what you need:

1. Any 120Hz+ monitor in the world whether it be Nvidia 3D Vision enabled or not. I used the Asus VG248QE monitor
2. Any AMD video card capable of stereo 3D. I used a dual AMD 7970 Crossfire config.
3. 1 pair of Xpand Youniversal glasses (Optional. For the best experience)
4. A DVI sync stripper with emitter kit
5. Tridef 3D Software

Procedure:

1. First of all, for the best experience, you will need to the Xpand Youniversal 3D glasses. Here is a link to their site: http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/
You may find them cheap on Amazon or ebay or buy directly from them. Its just $99 a pair. It's available in various sizes too.

2. Then you will need to buy a a 3D emitter kit. You guys must have heard of 3DTV Corp. They have been selling a lot of the 3D products for 3D TV's and stuff. They have a special PC emitter kit which comes with a pair of 3D glasses (hence why step 1 is optional), a DVI sync stripper with an IR emitter and some cables. Their website will definitely look very non professional and shady but they are the real deal. They have excellent support and you get immediate responses. Or you could buy their product from ebay too (However much more expensive by about $85).
Here is their website: http://www.3dmagic.com/
Here is their product page: http://ahugq.vcfpq.servertrust.com/product_p/pcirk.htm
Alternative ebay link(with 2 pairs of glasses): http://www.ebay.com/itm/160868149343?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D160868149343%26_rdc%3D1

If you do not want the glasses in the kit, you can contact 3DTV Corp via email available on their website.

3. Once you have the emitter kit, connect the sync stripper between your PC and your monitor using a Dual Link DVI cable. You will need to use one dual link cable to connect the PC to the sync stripper and another one to connect the stripper to the monitor. You get one dual link cable with the kit.
Instruction manual : http://www.3dmagic.com/pdf/DSS%20Manual%20%204-24-11%20Final.pdf

4. Connect the mini USB cable coming from the sync stripper to the IR emitter in the kit. You don't need to connect a separate power cable to the emitter's optional power input.

5. Set your desktop resolution to the one you want and the refresh rate to 120Hz or more.

6. You will need to buy the Tridef software. If you have an AMD card, you get a 50% discount. So the final price is $25. Here is the link to get the discounted product: http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5

7. Install Tridef 3D. After installation, a display setup control panel will be launched. In the Monitor type, select Standard display types. In the monitor model option, select Direct 3D Stereo 120 Hz.

8. Pres the on/off button on the emitter. The sync signal LED should glow green.

9. Place the emitter on top of your monitor or somewhere where your glasses will get unobstructed signal from the emitter. If there is anything blocking the line of sight b/w the 3D glasses and emitter, the glasses will lose sync. This is true of even 3D Vision technology due to the limitation of IR waves.

10. Now if you have bought the Xpand glasses, download and install Xpand's PC application here: http://www.xpand.me/products/youniversal-3d-glasses/youniversal-pc-application/
Connect your Xpand glasses to the PC (read its manual) and upgrade your firmware with the PC application. What's really cool about this PC application is that it allows you to fine tune the glasses shutter timings and delays to give the best 3D experience you can get by eliminating ghosting. More on that later.

11. Activate your 3D glasses by bringing them close to the emitter and switch them on and then wear them. (the Xpand glasses or the glasses that come with the kit) The Xpand glasses will automatically detect the right IR protocol.

12. Launch Tridef ignition from the PC and search for installed games and apply appropriate Tridef profile if available and start the game and turn on 3D in game using Tridef keyboard shortcut. Kindly search online for Tridef tutorials.

13. Finally! You have it! Enjoy mind blowing 3D!

14. Read on for more tweaking and Nvidia Lightboost on an AMD card!!!

Troubleshooting:

1. If you see weird 3D effects: The left and right images may be swapped. Press the L/R button on the emitter to swap left and right shuttering of the glasses.

2. If you see ghosting: If you have Xpand glasses, you are in luck. You can use the PC application once the glasses are connected to the PC to adjust the opening and closing delays. Just slide the bars up and down to increase and decrease delay respectively. However this is a trial and error method but once you find the sweet spot, you will love it.
Note: If you increase opening delay, but do not increase the closing delay by the same amount, the brightness of the image may decrease. However you may get an image with less ghosting.

3. If brightness is too low: Increase your Monitor brightness to the Max.

Nvidia Lightboost on 3D Vision ready monitors with AMD card!!!

If you have heard about lightboost, you will know it was Nvidia's answer to solve dark 3D images. However you require lightboost compatible 3D Vision monitors and an Nvidia card (until now).

There have been many hacks to enable lightboost even in 2D mode for CRT like smoothness in picture quality. However they still needed an Nvidia card.

However a user from hardforums found a way to get Lightboost working even on Radeons ! But you will need to use the monitor with an Nvidia card once for a one time activation of the lightboost feature. Here is the link to the hack: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039680623&postcount=884
You can then use lightboost with an AMD card for both 3D and 2D gaming. The result is amazing with brighter 3D gaming and unbelievably smooth 2D gaming.

Note: You will need a Lightboost supported monitor for the Lightboost hack

My feedback:
I am totally mind blown! I can't believe that I had an experience at least as good as Nvidia 3D vision if not better. If Nvidia didn't go about with its monopolistic influence in the 3D monitor market, we AMD users would not have to settle for cheaper options. However now with this method you do not have to make any compromises other than the initial setup and a slightly higher cost compared to Nvidia's solution.

If anyone is looking for a 3D monitor, I would definitely suggest the 24 inch Asus VG248QE. It supports refresh rates up to 144Hz and also supports Nvidia Lightboost. And it's incredibly cheap too! It's just $269.99 on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

I would like to hear feedback from you guys if you have tried my method. I am sure at someone will definitely find this useful. And sorry for the really long post :D

nnelums

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I'm not sure if this method is going to work amazingly, but since I was gifted a VG248QE, i'm looking forward to trying this out. I'll post when i'm done getting all the equipment. Will 1 HD7970 be sufficient for this?

astrotom

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

This method worked fine for me as I mentioned in the post. And yes, a single 7970 is more than enough! Looking forward to get your feedback :)

alegelos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Great Post! Hard to find, but was exactly what i was looking for! Thanks! May i ask you few questions pls? I bought 3x VG248QE in eyefinity. And 2x 7970 GHZ.

1- Can i use 3D Vision 2 Glasses + emitter? If yes, what would i need?

2- Does your solution work for Eyefinity? i need 3 of those DVI things?

3- Does the VG248QE works with HD3D normally?

4- Why you said HD3D is worst than 3D vision?

astrotom

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

No problem! All questions are welcome!

1. No. You cannot use 3D vision glasses + emitter because thay require an Nvidia card and 3D vision drivers to work.

2. For eyefinity setup, you have to attach all the monitors to a single card even in crossfire. I presume your 7970 has only one DVI port and two mini Displayports. You could go with one DVI and two Display Ports but that will result in the DVI connection being slightly out of sync and hence some cross-talk in 3D. However that is the only option. What you need for this is to buy 2 active mini displayport to Dual Link Dvi adapters. Try this: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DVID-DisplayPort-Dual-Link-Powered/dp/B004I6L6DW
You will also need 3 DVI connectors. Connect the DVI output to the 3D DVI sync stripper which comes with the 3D emitter and connect the sync stripper to a monitor with a DVI connector. Connect the 2 DP adapters to your mini DP ports and then directly connect them with 2 DVI connectors to your 2 remaining monitors. Now do everything else as mentioned in my original post.

If your 7970 card has 3 mini DP ports, you are in luck. Buy 3 Active adapters and connect all of them to your mini DP ports. Connect one DVI connector to one of the adapters and connect the other end to the 3D DVI sync stripper. Then connect the sync stripper to a monitor. For the other 2 monitors, directly connect the two adapters to the 2 remaining monitors using the remaining DVI connectors. In this setup, you wn't have loss in sync.

In both setups you need only one 3D sync stripper which comes with the 3D emitter since the glasses need to be in sync with just one monitor and it will be automatically in sync with the rest.

3. No. It doesn't since the monitor doesn't come with its own glasses and emitter.

4. I never said HD3D is any worse than 3D Vision. However most of the times, HD3D users use HDMi 3D. HDMI 3D is limted to 720p@60 Hz in 3D mode. Very few full HD3D compatible monitors exist. That's the reason why normal HDMi HD3D is not as good as 3D Vision.

alegelos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Very thanks for the reply! Now i know what i needed :) thanks to you.

1- My 7970 have 2 mini DP, 1 hdmi 1 dvi, so it means games wont sync 100%?
2- Can i use this Active mini DP to DVI?
3- Can i connect 2 monitors with Display Port cable (from GPU to Monitor) and 1 with DVI+emiter? (so no adapter needed?)
4- AMD 7970 support 3d HDMI at 1080p with 60hz (not sure if monitor also have to)

I was planing to get 680SLI or 780SLI to get 3D Vision 2 kit. Its a bit easier than cracking Light Boost, sync lost, adapters. A bit disappointing how many difficulties i had and lack of information.

astrotom

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

1. In my test configuration with eyefinity setup I had very little sync problem, almost negligible. The sync loss I mentioned is of the 3D signals and not the game image itself. I was able to remedy it by adjusting the shutter timings on my Xpand glasses. Also, the active adapters helped keep the sync loss to a minimum. If you use passive ones you will definitely see much more sync loss.

Note: You won't find the sync problem across all three monitors. Two of the monitors attached via adapters will be in sync with each other. The 3rd one attached to DVI will be very slightly out of sync. You can adjust the 3d glasses shutter timings to either sync exactly with the 2 monitors connected to adapters or the 1 monitor connected to DVI. However I hardly think you will find the sync problem as bothersome as it sounds. If you do find it bothersome, I suggest playing with dual monitors.

2. No, you can't. You need an active mini-DP to Dual Link DVI adapter and not single link.

3. Yes you can but I suspect the sync issue might be much more obvious. I suggest you first try without the adapters and see if you find any sync issues. If you do, then use adapters. If not, you are good to go.

4. AMD supports 3D HDMI at 60Hz but that is only with the new superfast HDMI protocol. No monitor on earth has yet started supporting that format.

Yes. The 3D Vision setup is easy to install with no hassle and you can enjoy without problems. However I have found my setup with AMD mentioned in my 1st post to almost surpass the 3D Vision quality due to better glasses and better control over shutter timings.

alegelos

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013
Is it same if i use the DVI-D from GPU with a DVI-D to HDMI cable, then HDMI to DVI-D plugged to the monitor? I mean, does the monitor get real DVI-D or just DVI-Single? Lose quality?

GPU DVI-D slot -> DVI-D to HDMI <----cable----> HDMI to DVI-D -> Monitor DVI-D slot

I need to buy DVI-D large cables and are expensive. I have good HDMI cables and DVI-D to HDMI adapters. Maybe i can use them intead of buying the DVI-D cables?

astrotom

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

Actually I am afraid you can't do that coz HDMI does not support DVI transfer rates and will lose some of the data. So even if you use another HDMI to DVI adapter to connect to the monitor, the lost data cannot be recovered.

I suppose you must have received DVI cables with the monitors? Why do you need to buy additional ones?

David Hsu

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Oh my God, I just had to register and tell you THANK YOU, this is EXACTLY what I needed! I was starting to lose hope...you are a godsend!

astrotom

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

You are welcome! I knew there are many AMD gamers around the world who are looking for this solution but are not aware of it. I hope this post reaches as many as possible.

ramerinde

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hello!

I hope that I'm writing this at the right place.

I followed every step you mentioned above.
I have the exact same monitor as you have, an Asus VG248QE monitor.
My graphic card is a AMD ATI Radeon HD 6870, and it says on AMD's website that it is supported.
I have the same 3d kit emitter you said that people should buy, and DVI cables are connected from my computer to this thing and then to my monitor.
And I also have the TriDef 3D software which I start the games through.

So my questions is:
Why does a message appear in the right hand corner saying "3D is currently deactivated. Connect to a 3D-compatible screen"?
And when I try to activate 3D manually it says that it's on but it ain't and the message in the first question is still on the screen.

I would really appreciate an answer. Thanks!

Mcdonald01

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Is this method better then just buying a Samsung s27a950d for 3d? Also will buying this monitor be better for 3d then a newer one with nvidia light boost 2 or is that irrelevant? I'm just looking for the best 3d experience for my amd card!

ByronMcDuffy

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I am getting negative feedback from manufacturer saying my monitor will not work but from what I can tell the one you used is similiar. See response "On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM, 3dtvcorp <3dtvcorp@gmail.com> wrote:

IF they say they used this monitor ok then fine and it is ok with an nvidia card(I used to have one) but note that it says this in the amazon ad:
VG278H 3D feature can only be activated via Dual-link DVI cable connection with a NVIDIA 3D Vision Kit, a compatible NVIDIA-GPU graphics card, a PC with Microsoft Windows Vista/7 OS, and NVIDIA 3D Vision drivers installed. Moreover, the resolution/timing must be set at 1920x1080@120/110/100Hz." but what I see in your procedure says that my monitor would work fine.
Also, Xpand says their glasses will not work with my monitor but again your procedures suggests it will. See response "Unfortunately the XPAND 3D glasses will not work for your ASUS due to the 3Dglasses do not have the protocol for the ASUS brand.
I would really like to give this a go but only if you think they are not understanding what you did. I personally think it will work :)
thanks,
Byron
Case Number:7269
Michael Santiago, XPAND 3D
XPAND Technical Research Analyst

ChaosAnimeX

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I have the same monitor, ASUS VG248QE, i even have the same graphics card as you lol, XFX Radeon 6870.
I have not bought anything else yet, but I downloaded the trial software to see if it would work, as it should do something (alas the 3d will not be viewable until I buy the kit) so I know it's going to work.
However I'm getting the same problem you are "3D is currently deactivated. Connect to a 3D-compatible screen"
I tested with skyrim and cod4 with the same results each, following the guide. I even tried using HDMI and AMD HD3D instead of dual-link DVI to no success.
If you or someone finds a solution for this, please share!!

What version of tridef where you using astrotom? What driver version? Any other info? Any EDID overides?
Is it possible to have to have the DVI stripper kit first before TriDef will recognize it? Can you comfirm or disprove this astrotom?

AMKANMBA

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

WOW!, your post will definately hurt nvidia!! (Not now but soon enough)

Lavabo

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
hello
another question:
why use YOUniversal glasses when they are two in the 3dTV kits ?? Can we use them instead? is it because the Youniversal are way better?
thanks

spudnic

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Same here Please let me know if you find the answer getting very irritated i know it has to be something simple (ID 10 T Error). Relay like to play 3D games.
Thank you :)

Assa

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Is there any other option to sync glasses without sync stripper? Maybe some custom glasses like ones that OP mentioned?

PDub

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013

I got the sync stripper with the kit(it came with HDMI cable not DVI-DL, wtf) and I know it works when lightboost is enabled on my monitor through the Toasty-X strobelight program, but I can't get any games or movies to work in 3D. My monitor is just not going into 3D mode.

I tried the Direct3D stereo options in Tridef and it states that my "graphics hardware is not compatible with AMD HD3D technology". I tried all the other options as well, but my monitor, BenQ XL2720T, doesn't kick into 3D mode. I will try uninstalling strobelight and the custom resolutions in the mean time and see if that works.

Right now I am experimenting with EDID overrides to see if I can get the monitor to recognize frame sequential input somehow. I don't think this is going to work.

The fact that the OP hasn't replied in a long time makes this very suspect to me.

Mcdonald01

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Anyone know what happen to this guy? I bought everything that I needed for 3d and it keeps saying my hardware is not compatible with amd hd3d technology! Anyone have a solution that would be great?

PDub

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Small update. I was able to get 3D working in DX9 games by using Iz3d and the shutter option. This is not a solution, but it's proof that it works on light boost monitors. I can't get my glasses to sync without lightboost forced on through the Toasty-X strobelight program.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
sounds like a load of wishful thinking from someone not pleased they're stuck with no 3D after buying a 3D enabled card. am really thinking this may be a load of BS, no one has claimed they're running the same setup as the OP and actually achieved real 3D.