Are Apple gaming computers a) Competitive and b) Cost-efficient

Is this a stupid question (meaning - don't waste your time, build a windows gaming rig)

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It's complicated (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

vaerax

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Gaming rig - the guy at the apple store claims that an apple will benchmark better. Is there any truth at all to that? I've always heard that apple uses high quality parts, but honestly I've never heard of a gamer going with Apple, especially since you'd then have to partition your drive and buy windows (boosting your apple overhead). I love my iPhone 5 and my iPad, otherwise I really wouldn't bother looking into this.

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi vaerax!

Negative to both questions.

When it comes to gaming, PC's have the edge when it comes to choice of high quality parts and price.

g-unit1111

Titan
Short answer: no and no.

Long answer: You're paying way too much money for long out of date hardware and an OS that has very limited capabilities compared to Windows 7 and 8. Sure new GPUs are finally being made available for the Mac like the Radeon 7950 and GTX 680 but it's too little too late.

I disagree. OS X is an excellent operating system. Strictly as an operating system, it is many folds better than Windows 7 and Windows 8. Windows 7's and Windows 8's only weapon against OS X is gaming prowess. I suppose to some, that's all that matters. But in no way is it limited.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I used to use a Mac for a long time and I didn't like OS X in comparison to Windows 7 and 8. The thing I don't like about Apple is their continued insistence of a closed system. Open systems are always infinitely better. Although I guess I've always been a PC person as long as I can remember.

It seems the gaming market is what Windows has going for it. I'd love to see Valve succeed with their plan in porting Steam over to Ubuntu. It should be interesting to see what happens.

That does bug me as well. It's Apple's way or no way. But their product are very well designed. I can't knock them on that. If their prices were lower, I doubt any of us will be bashing Apple, closed system or not.

I think Windows will still have the upper hand even if Steam succeed in their support for Linux. Unless most people play games solely on Valve, Windows still holds the biggest support for other games and engines.

If you are true Apple fan you will never think of costs, quality and everything else, you just simply have to buy it.
Forget price, forget quality, forget competitive, forget freedom, forget being smart, forget everything!
Hey! It's an Apple! It is cool!

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that was a huge turn off. I paid $1600 for my Mac laptop back in 2004 and it lasted me several years but by the end of its' life it was obsolete in just about every way shape and form. It's the closed system and lack of current hardware and technologies (Macs still don't use BD-R or 1080P) combined with the ridiculously high prices that turn many people off of Apple completely.

axehead15

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
Why not just run both on the same computer? You can just put Mac OS on a PC.

I have always been a Mac guy, but as I took on the IT job at my Windows based company, I had to switch to PC at home as well. However, you can run Mac OS on PC hardware. You just have to make some adjustments.

So I guess what I am trying to say is: build your own computer. It is cheaper, and can get the same effects. Then put Mac OS on a second HDD, or partition your original and put OS X on that. Tony Mac x86 walks you through that stuff.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html