Water Cooling For AMD

Antvinder

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Hi

I recently built my first computer ... Woop go me :)

I have an AMD FX-4170 Quad Core @ 4.42Ghz with the standard heat sink it came with. My problem is that the computer is very loud... I have 7 fans in total but most of the noise seems to be coming from the CPU fan. I say "seems to be" because all I did to try and find the noise was take the side of the case off and listen to each fan... Not very technical lol

So if it is mainly the CPU I could just upgrade to a water cooled CPU for about £100 more than an upgraded heat sink.

I figure it would be a lot quieter and also shave off a fair few degrees off the CPU

It currently runs at about 25-35 degrees and gets to about 50 degrees whilst gaming.

But what I want to know is if you guys think that this;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-041-OE&groupid=962&catid=1532

would be a lot quieter than a heat sink and how much cooler would it actually be??

Thanks

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Your option is far better than a closed loop h80 or h100. The xspc kit is a starter kit and can be built on. The point of water cooling is balancing noise and performance. You are headed in the right direction.

To be honest, I don't see much point water-cooling that low end a chip.
Spending near $300 on a cooling setup for a $150 CPU doesnt seem worth it to me, you might be better off buying something like a 212 EVO or NH-D14. Will offer you better value in this case.

Though if you want water-cooling just because, I understand. Thats the main reason I have it after all :D.

That kit is basically an XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 kit with better fans thrown on, so is fairly decent for a CPU loop. Though if GPU cooling is a possible concern, you will want to look into other kits with a more powerful pump and more radiator space. Otherwise you could end up in a situation (which I am in currently) where you have to spend a lot of money to overcome the weak pump that comes with those kits, rather than a small increase of initial cost.

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
how does 150 vs 200 make that much of a difference? an i5 is constantly recommended for watercooling and OC - and its only 180-200 - hell my i7 3770k was only 209 on sale

^ That is true, and I have done exactly that myself.
I guess re-interpret what I said to mean that if your just looking for a quieter cooler and lower temps, there are multiple ways of achieving it and water-cooling is not the best value wise.

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
ah I see now - Value??? Oh hells no lol WC basic is not bad - but once you get the bug... oh boy.... my first WC passive system was 150. My budget this time around was initially 300. It is now about 1500 finalized LMAO

TRENDING THREADS