Stable Power Supply

castanley

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hello all,

bit of a novice in the build community and I try to read/google most of my issues, but this recent one is starting to hinder my work.

This is my 3rd GTX 670 FTW graphics card that has crashed and the support recommended that I replace my PSU because my 12V rails were fluctuating between 12.288 and 12.192. Is this abnormal and if so what would anyone recommend for a stable power supply- if possible provide top range to mid range recommendations.

I currently have an OCZ 700W

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341018

The rest of my build contains:
I7 3770K
16 Gb G.Skill Ripjaw Z
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Samsung 840 pro

Assuming that this is an issue with the power supply then I would be interested in eventually setting up SLI with a second 670- so any watt range from 700w-1000w would be appreciated.

I am not too familiar with rails other then what I have attempted to read for myself, but if anyone was willing to assist with explaining that would be of assistance as well if it increases stability in what I should be looking for.

Thank you and I look forward to your responses.

castanley

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I received this reply from OCZ regarding the current power supply:

"EVGA told you that +12.288 to +12.192 voltage fluctuations were too much? That is about a 0.8% variance. The ATX standard is +/-5%. A 0.8% fluctuation is extremely stable.

Although I sincerely doubt you will find another PSU that is significantly more stable."

So who am I to believe on this matter? Do I even need another power supply?

castanley

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Thank you for your message- sorry for the delay, but I have been trying to get a response from OCZ and EVGA- I know the warranty questions will have to be for EVGA, but my theory was that if I own an EVGA power supply and an EVGA graphics card- if there's an issue then they wont be able to void my warranty due to fault of others.

That aside- is there any overall assessment on EVGA power supplies if this is applicable?

I was going to be running a few voltage test now as I am really trying to avoid buying a new power supply.