Alienware Area-51 Monitor Not Turning On After Sleep

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Alienware
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Displays
April 26, 2013 7:39:07 PM

I have had my Alienware Area-51 for a little over a year now and never had any problems. I bought a new wireless keyboard and a new monitor and I been having problems with my monitor turning on. I never shut down my computer, I just put it into sleep mode. Some of the times when I turn on my computer from being in sleep mode, the monitor will not turn on. My keyboard and mouse will not light up either it seems (even though I turn on my computer by using the space bar on my keyboard). I can hear my computer fans start up but my lights on my tower still the colors they are in sleep mode. When I hit my shut down button on the tower it will not shut down. The only way I can get the computer to do anything is to unplug it and plug it back in. When I plug it in and turn it on, it will boot right up and the monitor will work. It will ever have all my tabs open as if I never shut it off.
I have tried to update drivers and do all updates I could find. Nothing has helped. It doesn't do it always but it is really frustrating.
I am almost finished with my computer technician degree but this one has my stumped. I never had a problem with my old monitor but all of the sudden with this one I am having problems. I tried switching monitors with someone who has the same monitor and they do not have the problems I do (note: I did not switch power cords or AVI cords though).
It is not under warranty and warranty through Dell is WAY too expensive.
Any ideas about what is wrong or things I could try? Thank you.

It also says on the Dell that there is a new update for the Alienware Area-51 from A11 to A12. But when I download it it says that it is not for my computer.
When I go to my exact computer, there are no updates for Windows 8 x64.

It has also started since I been running on Windows 8 x64. And the BIOS update is not for Windows 8 x64 and is only for Windows 7 x64. So I am not sure if that has something to do with it.

I ran all the tests on Dell for my system troubleshoot and everything checked out.

More about : alienware area monitor turning sleep

a c 123 C Monitor
April 26, 2013 7:46:26 PM

Sounds like problem lies in the wireless keyboard. Take it out of the equation and try your old wired keyboard. Does it wake up?
m
l
April 26, 2013 7:53:35 PM

getochkn said:
Sounds like problem lies in the wireless keyboard. Take it out of the equation and try your old wired keyboard. Does it wake up?

I will have to try this and see. It will only do it a few times a week and it is pretty random. It seems like this happens when it sets for a while in sleep mode.
I really feel like it has something to do with Windows 8 because it seems like nothing works with Windows 8 well which sucks because I REALLY like Windows 8 but there are a lot of companies that do not have drivers for Windows 8.
Alienware X51 does not have Windows 8 drivers. On the Windows 7 drivers there is a new BIOS update. But for some reason I am not able to install that driver.
Not sure what to do about that or if there is anything I can do.
m
l
Related resources
a c 123 C Monitor
April 26, 2013 8:16:51 PM

If it didn't do it after you had Windows 8 but only did it after the new keyboard...............
m
l
April 26, 2013 8:18:45 PM

I'm not sure. I got Windows 8, a new keyboard, and a new monitor at once. I am trying my old wired keyboard so we will see. My wired mouse that I have always had doesn't work when this happens either.
m
l