Help with first build

mikeISU

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I'm looking to do my first build soon and was looking for some input on what I should get. For a price range I'm looking to keep around $600, but I could probably go up to $700-750. The main uses I have for my computer is some gaming, typical college work, and simple photo/video editing. Priority is high speed.

As for parts, I already have a Radeon HD 7750 in my current computer that I can use. Also already have 8GB RAM laying around and a nice monitor.

For the rest..I wasn't sure whether I should go affordable with AMD or if Intel is worth a little more cost. Also wasn't sure about motherboards, been reading loads of mixed reviews.

One CPU+motherboard combo I was considering was an AMD FX-8350 and an ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z.

For the case I've been considering the Cooler Master HAF X with some red LEDs (I'm going for a red and black scheme)

Thanks for any input.

computerfanatic

Honorable
May 2, 2013
for most of what youre doing a good dual core would be fine, but you havent laid out exactly what kind of gaming youre talking about, light gaming or heavy gaming, if its heavy gaming then a good intel dual core will do u but if your looking for this system to last a while, it would be better to go with a quad from either intel or amd if youre into heavy gaming, as slowly but surely things are only getting more advanced, would also suggest investing part of your build money in cooling, never can have too much cooling, not saying you have to water cooling or something like that, but save some money to put in some case fans and perhaps a pci slot fan or two and possibly thinking about getting some hard drive fans, cooling goes a long way whether your hard core gaming or not, whether your planning on overclocking or not...not to up on intel processors, but as far as amd goes, i would say do not get anything less than a phenom 2 quad core, preferably a black edition, or with of the piledriver core fx's