Silverlight + Netflix + Chrome: Can only watch in bursts until "Following plugin unresponsive, would you like to stop?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmend1665

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Neat little problem, since all I wanted to do is transfer watching my show from mom's computer over to mine in my room.

I'll watch Netflix for a few minutes and wham black screen, unresponsive. This is Chrome/ Win 8 64 bit / the program required to play the videos is Silverlight. I need this solved because even if I can deal with the hell of it my mom won't be able to. So far there is no issue with her computer and I'll probably be returning to it just to watch my show.

This is where it gets fun. A google search will return thousands of other people asking the same thing. And better than that, her computer is identical in running Win 8 updated to latest / Chrome updated to latest/ same list of extensions.

I uninstalled the Silverlight, ran the registry cleaner through CCleaner, reinstalled silverlight and restarted computer. I added www.netflix.com to trusted sites in IE. No big shocker, I didn't "reformat and reinstall windows" the way some wisecrackers are recommending.

There probably isn't a solution to this and I thought I solved it with the uninstall and CCleaner registry clean, but guess not. I don't know, I'm so exhausted with illogical computer problems at the wrong time.

Thanks a lot Tom's Hardware community, and if there's no solution to this don't worry cause I couldn't find one either.

Solution
I've had this issue happen before, and it is a total pain in the butt.
In the address bar of Chrome, type in the following

chrome://net-internals/#sockets

And select "Close idle sockets" and "Flush socket pools". Then on the left-hand side, navigate to DNS. Then click "Clear host cache". Close all instances of Chrome browser, and then re-open it. Hopefully that will fix the issue. :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
I've had this issue happen before, and it is a total pain in the butt.
In the address bar of Chrome, type in the following

chrome://net-internals/#sockets

And select "Close idle sockets" and "Flush socket pools". Then on the left-hand side, navigate to DNS. Then click "Clear host cache". Close all instances of Chrome browser, and then re-open it. Hopefully that will fix the issue. :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.