Please rate this build

Please go here and rate it :-)

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/BHn

Thank you,
NCMike
13 answers Last reply
More about rate build
  1. -using cheap liquid cooling wastes the board. go get a custom loop or get something like a h220 from swiftech and expand on it in the future.
    -1866mhz ram has no benefits
    -you spent double the money on ram even though it doesnt perform any better than a set of gskills or regular vengenace LP sticks. bling is useless when it does nothing
    -there is no reason to have 1tb of SSD storage. no one has 1tb of programs
    -there is a cheaper 3tb model of the same drive
    -no idea how you can ever use 12tb of storage. its plain stupid
    -there are better cases but then the storm trooper is ok
    -there is no reason to get 2 optical drives when CDs and DVDs and all sorts of optical media is dying out fast enough
    -ultimate windows is useless. unless you dont speak english, there is no reason to get it
    -there are way cheaper 1440p panels such as the Asus PB278q for 649-699 that is just as good. why would you spend double the cash for nothing gained
    -you are joking with that keyboard right? on a 6000 dollar rig and you are still using a cheap membrane keyboard?
    -there are way better speakers than the bose companions for way cheaper
    -are you serious with the 3 printers?

    this performs the same, for half the price
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TbrC
  2. 0/10. Way too excessive. Way too expensive. And the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe you care to explain what the build is for?
  3. TheBigTroll said:
    -using cheap liquid cooling wastes the board. go get a custom loop or get something like a h220 from swiftech and expand on it in the future.
    -1866mhz ram has no benefits
    -you spent double the money on ram even though it doesnt perform any better than a set of gskills or regular vengenace LP sticks. bling is useless when it does nothing
    -there is no reason to have 1tb of SSD storage. no one has 1tb of programs
    -there is a cheaper 3tb model of the same drive
    -no idea how you can ever use 12tb of storage. its plain stupid
    -there are better cases but then the storm trooper is ok
    -there is no reason to get 2 optical drives when CDs and DVDs and all sorts of optical media is dying out fast enough
    -ultimate windows is useless. unless you dont speak english, there is no reason to get it
    -there are way cheaper 1440p panels such as the Asus PB278q for 649-699 that is just as good. why would you spend double the cash for nothing gained
    -you are joking with that keyboard right? on a 6000 dollar rig and you are still using a cheap membrane keyboard?
    -there are way better speakers than the bose companions for way cheaper
    -are you serious with the 3 printers?

    this performs the same, for half the price
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TbrC


    FYI...I already have filled up half of the 1TB drive with programs (I have over 100 major applications). I also put my VMWare VMs on that drive (they start and load super fast off that SSD RAID array) and each of them have an array of applications and persistent virtual drives. I guess only us software developers can appreciate these kind of heavy-duty environments. The H100i is good enough for now and is doing a great job; I could go custom but then again for what, to get to 5.0 or 5.2GHz? I can easily get to 4.8GHz and maybe 5.0GHz on the H100i.

    As far as the 12TB drives, they are in RAID10 if you didn't read the notes. That is only 6TB of usable space and I already have 3TB of data on them...amazing how people ASSUME some of us don't need this kind of storage and are way out of their league as power users. It is plain stupid for some people to make such baseless assumptions.

    For what I do, the 1866 is fine. I tend to prefer Dominators over the years; I have cheaper Vengance in my older rig and the 1866 was the same cost as the 1600s. What I needed was the full 64GB for what I do - and I use it all. As the notes explain (if you took the time to read), I do MASSIVE gigapixel image creation - anywhere from 50-400 36MP RAW NEFs (each) which I first load (all at once) into Adobe CS6 ACR and do synchronous adjustments before stitching them, and then I edit the result massive TIFFs. My indoor 300ppi 10x30 foot panoramas sell for THOUSANDS of dollars EACH. The time this system saves me over my prior build and most others is immense and pays for itself easily. Maybe its overkill for game players, but heck boys, I'm in business and time is money. I also use part of the RAM for a decent RAMDrive to drive VMs. Still overkill you say now that you are better informed?

    I will only use the 3TB barracuda drives - I didn't buy the parts at the places listed by PartPicker - I got a good deal on them.

    The optical drives are pretty cheap and I do frequent DVD and Blu Ray duplication - the convenience is more than worth it.

    Ultimate Windows 7 - I manage document translation in over 50 national languages ...again, the criticism fails miserably.

    I am reusing the keyboard and speakers from my old rig....recycling is good and those Bose are wonderful..have you ever heard them? The keyboard is fine for what I do.

    Your suggested build would be insufficient for my applications.

    What's the problem with the 3 printers? I use the B&W for everyday cheap printing. The color one is for when I need only color letter size printing or faxing . I use the Epson 7880 24" as part of my business (I have a full portrait studio and brick and mortar gallery - what's the problem again? Seems like all you want to do is find fault, why?


    NCMike
  4. you seriously shouldnt be using a single system for so many applications.

    custom gets you around 5ghz but is much quieter when acheiving it

    these kits are half price. having a dominator sticker means nothing when they dont perform a jack better. the heatsink is basically useless since ddr3 makes barely any heat. its probably the biggest waste out of all. even if you can make the money back, it also means that you could have had more money to start off with if you saved 200 bucks on something that did nothing
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=73586&vpn=994050&manufacture=Mushkin%20Enhanced

    raid 10 doesnt get you any where if you want reliability. and raid 0 hard drives make almost no sense since if you need sequencial reads and writes and high IO, you go to the SSD or ramdisk. id actually suggest you get yourself a NAS to do the bulk storage.

    document translation has nothing to do with ultimate windows. if you need a translation service, hire someone. i speak a couple of languages and i have yet to see windows ever do the translation properly. its always junk. lets say i want to write "glasses (eyewear)" in chinese. i would always end up with "glasses (windows, polycarbonate)".

    the companions are ok. there are definitely better ones out there for less. as for the keyboard, make the upgrade, you will type at least 10 wpm faster
  5. TheBigTroll said:
    you seriously shouldnt be using a single system for so many applications.

    custom gets you around 5ghz but is much quieter when acheiving it

    these kits are half price. having a dominator sticker means nothing when they dont perform a jack better. the heatsink is basically useless since ddr3 makes barely any heat. its probably the biggest waste out of all. even if you can make the money back, it also means that you could have had more money to start off with if you saved 200 bucks on something that did nothing
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=73586&vpn=994050&manufacture=Mushkin%20Enhanced

    raid 10 doesnt get you any where if you want reliability. and raid 0 hard drives make almost no sense since if you need sequencial reads and writes and high IO, you go to the SSD or ramdisk. id actually suggest you get yourself a NAS to do the bulk storage.

    document translation has nothing to do with ultimate windows. if you need a translation service, hire someone. i speak a couple of languages and i have yet to see windows ever do the translation properly. its always junk. lets say i want to write "glasses (eyewear)" in chinese. i would always end up with "glasses (windows, polycarbonate)".

    the companions are ok. there are definitely better ones out there for less. as for the keyboard, make the upgrade, you will type at least 10 wpm faster


    Ah! Now you are talking! I'd upgrade to the custom water just for the lower noise - I might do so yet.

    I might upgrade to NAS storage eventually; for now I'm not solely relying on the RAID 10 for safety; I backup to external HDDs on top of that until then. I have multiple rigs actually - this one is just my latest. When I want real compute power I just get me a few LPARs (if that gives you a clue as to what I do - this stuff is child's play). I cut my teeth coding z/OS BCP in assembler (my first water cooled system was my very own 3084 with freon cooled TCMs).

    Also, I don't do the translation myself, but I work with the resulting vended translation source files - plus I work with extremely high end corporate translation software that yes, is Win based - can't say too much more without revealing certain things I don't want to but trust me, it is state of the art.
  6. the OS language has nothing to do with the translation software.

    and as for WC, you shouldnt be using freon anyways, not really meant for pcs and from what i know it needs to be pressurized
  7. the build seems like a waste of money... I agree with the big troll - if you need this many applications you probably want to split the system into a couple of machines linked via a server.
  8. loligo said:
    the build seems like a terrible waste of money...
    doesn't even give you bragging rights.


    What matters is it sames me a lot of time for my imaging work, and time is money. It pays for itself.
  9. TheBigTroll said:
    the OS language has nothing to do with the translation software.

    and as for WC, you shouldnt be using freon anyways, not really meant for pcs and from what i know it needs to be pressurized


    I wasn't talking about using freon for a PC; I was referring to pressurized thermal conducting modules (TCMs) I used to have on ... never mine, unless you are a hard core I/T guy with a few decades of experience and history you'd not understand...
  10. ncmike said:
    loligo said:
    the build seems like a terrible waste of money...
    doesn't even give you bragging rights.


    What matters is it sames me a lot of time for my imaging work, and time is money. It pays for itself.


    you could have saved money on the rig to get the same result is what we are all talking about. you could have easily saved 2000 dollars
  11. LOL, now THIS is a keyboard!

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybgw8br4dl6cmyu/DSC00163.jpg

    And it works with this rig like new. IBM Model-M - they don't make em like this anymore. Dreamy to type with - real click-spring.

    Regards,
    Mike
  12. well you cant really get them any more. the cherry blue and green switches are as close as it gets
  13. I had forgotten I had it stowed away in the attic - like new :-)
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems