Intel Confirms Upcoming $200 Android Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I see the following...
Eventually, due to all the kids out there, Android will literally be in every single home and Windows may become something of the past. Once Windows is out of the way Google will start to charge for Android and all the oems will WISH that they'd stayed with Microsoft. You should see how much Google charge for their DAMN services! Oh well.

G

Since when did Jesus worry about making money on the internet?

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

Since he couldn't believe that anybody able to profit $5667 in 4 weeks on the computer. LoL

InvalidError

Titan
> The biggest roadblock Microsoft has seemingly faced with Windows 8 thus far has been a lack of sufficient touchscreen solutions.

The lack of touch-based devices may be one thing but the people's lack of interest in touch-based interaction on the desktop is likely an even bigger thing. I most likely would not use touch-based features on a desktop OS even if I got paid for it since it would be an ergonomic nightmare and fingerprints on the screen would annoy the heck out of me.

No point in complaining/commenting about the lack of devices when most people likely do not want them in the first place. Imagine Microsoft forcing people to use touch interface and then getting class-action lawsuits 5-10 years down the road from people with health insurance claim for touch-induced RSI.

Personally, from a health/safety point of view, I consider Win8's touch-based desktop failure as a long-term blessing. We have enough of wrist/forearm injuries from keyboard/mouse, we do not need to add the whole arm and shoulders to the mix with desktop touch.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

Linux is free, yes, but that doesn't stop Google from being able to charge for Android and ChromeOS. Google is free to charge for their own non-GPL source code.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
good move for Google and inlel, keep help improving the computing world please. I am tired of the pricy limited function close sourced Microsoft products for long time.
Unfortunately is, still too many general users think Microsoft products is the best.
google is run by group of smart people. they would not be stupid to charge their products unreasonably and move their users away. Google drive is free to use for 5GB or under usage, charge small amount for higher storage. Gmail is probably free to use for next few decades. they know how to build a business model that won't anger users but can make good money.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Opened the paper today and saw fry's lenovo $239 amd e2 win8 laptop. Why settle for an android/chrome os , even at the low end? May that $50 could buy a small upgrade instead of the os, but I'd take a full windows laptop over android any day (even with win8).
Seems to me it more a wireless/LTE/contract dupe instead of a real computer. Like the old "free pc" of a decade ago, crap hardware + bloatware + years of contractual finance/internet charges for the ignorant and/or poor(credit) customers.

Timmy225

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Nice to see the MS monopoly slowly start to crumble. $200 sounds tempting, wipe anything from Google (as evil as MS) from it and install Linux, Sweet.

Declingn PC amrket... well a bit maybe, but it is a "non necesary" item now, when so many people lost their jobs. Also if we factor that since 2007 (crysis 1) we only had 1 DirectX improvement that is not even fully utilized, its hard to keep the PC market alive.
When Unreal Engine 4 comes out, there might be a new move towards PC comsumption, but till then, who is going to buy a new PC for games that their 5 year old PC can still perfectly play? (my PC is 5 years old, just upgraded the GPU).
Well, id like to upgrade my PC, i really do, but there is simply no reason at all for me to do it (and im still rocking DDR2 over here).

Status
Not open for further replies.