Computer keeps restarting during Windows install.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Hey guys, Sorry I don't exactly know where to put this thread but I believe it's my Mobo having problems because I've tested every other part.

Specs:
i7-2600k processor
GTX 580-MSI Lightning Xtreme Edition
8GB Ripjaws
Kingston 64gb SSD
WD 1TB HD
Asus p8p67 deluxe motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate(64-bit)
BFG 850 Watt PSU

Ok so I've had the computer for about 2.5 years now(warranties ending soon :() and about a week ago I noticed it started to just freeze and then I'd have to manually reset the computer to get it to work again. It begun to only happen like once a day then it got more and more frequent to the point I couldn't even start the computer unless I was in Safe Mode. I figured this may be a graphics card issue due to the higher resolution outside of safe mode so I tried an old card of mine(8800gt) to see if it made a difference and it still froze up unless in safe mode.

I figured maybe my OS got corrupt and I needed to clear my hard drives anyways since they were quite full so why not just re-format and then reinstall windows. Well I did just that and then began the install of windows, then the computer just restarted itself during the install. I figured maybe it was the SSD I was trying to install on to so I tried my other hard drive, still restarted during installation.

I have 2 separate copies of windows that I have been trying to install on to this computer, both on a flash boot drive made by Windows USB tool and a disk of Windows 7. I have also tried installing both the 64 and 32 bit but run in to the same problem.

I have played around with the parts in my computer, taking out the ram and only leaving 1 or 2 sticks in and it still does the same thing. The only thing I can access on my computer is the BIOS as windows is no longer on my computer and I can not install it.

I've checked temperatures on the processor before I reformatted hard drive and it was running no hotter than usual(around 40 degrees celcius) I'm very frustrated and have no where to turn. Thankfully I have this laptop for the mean time, but I can't game on this >.<.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome as I've been pulling out my hair for days.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

I updated the BIOS and the SSD too. I tried installing Windows 7 onto my 1TB too, but still had the same problem with it randomly restarting during install.
Can't repair Win7 as both hard drives have been re-formatted and neither has an OS on them.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Just put a new PSU in the computer today(thankfully I had a brand new one sitting around). Still having the same problem. I also bought a new battery for mobo.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I'll try to run memtest. I can run the computer without any crashes in safe mode with networking. It's the only way I can get it stable, other times it just restarts within 15 min or less. BIOS is UEFI.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I'm trying to figure out how to switch it to legacy, been looking all through BIOS

Here are memtest results:
IMG_20130527_131702.jpg

I have no clue what the problem is. I'm just stuck. I don't think it's hard drives because I can't even boot windows CD...maybe somehow both my copies of Windows 7 are shit and are causing the crash? But I've tried 2 PSUs, 2 GPUs, 2 Hard drives, reseating CPU, replaced/RMA'd mobo, and tried running install with only 1-2 sticks of ram. Still can't even get past set-up is starting and if I'm lucky sometimes I get to pick between 32/64 bit but never can get to picking Hard drive screen. The only thing I think it can be is the processor somehow, even though it has never overheated nor even come close, this system has always run very cool.

At restart, press F8 and in the Boot menu try selecting the DVD drive or Removable and not the EFI DVD or EFI Removable.
Or you can set in BIOS, Boot menu, the DVD as the primary and not the EFI DVD.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
So get this...

I got it to randomly work and finally install windows after doing the memtest. So I got windows 7 installed and it was running fine. Before getting too excited, I decided to run a couple of benchmarks and high res games for hours with no problem. I was yelling and screaming in excitement that it had finally worked.

Then Doomsday(yesterday night) came and my computer started freezing up and hard hang or just restarts itself. I didn't install anything that would've caused this. Now I can only get into Safe Mode without the computer just freezing/shutting off/restarting on me. I have no clue what is wrong now

UPDATE: I can't even get into safe mode now and start-up repair won't boot either after the white load bar finished and goes to a black screen/restarts.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

There is no on-board video on my motherboard, graphics card is only option(and I have 2 of them that I've been testing)

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

But I just did that like 2 weeks ago with Asus, you think it's possible this brand-new board is also having problems?

Hi, take out every component from your Computer case.

1. Put your MB on a wooden table or Cardboard box make sure it's clean.

2. Now attach the CPU, GPU, 1 stick of RAM, HDD(no SSD) and PSU, Monitor. Nothing else.

3. Short the MB with a screwdriver/coin etc, to start the system. If you don't know how to do it, google it. Refer to your MB manual. Be steady and don't touch any other metal part of MB.

4. Test to see if it's working. Hope it helps.

MikeLowrey

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
The Mouse/Keyboard has worked fine on another system. I have checked that.

I have also tried to boot the computer outside the case but still get the same errors.

I actually finally worked it out to boot and get into windows(outside of safe mode) and noticed it may have been a RAM timing issue. I changed it from Auto to X.M.P and set the timings/voltage myself in the BIOS, same with Frequency(1866). It kept working on and off and for random amounts of time, although it did seem more unstable the more programs I had open and would eventually hang hang/freeze/BSOD. I have been getting the same BSOD over and over now and quite frequently(after 5-15 minutes of being on computer, usually when I start playing a game and have internet browser/ventrilo on too. Here is a pic of BSOD:

I have tried using different RAM configurations/sticks and still get it frequently. I have read up on the BSOD and it seems it's a common CPU issue or Overclocking issue(my computer is not OC'd nor never has been, never felt need) I'm curious if a faulty CPU is the cause of all these problems. Any thoughts?

Interesting Sidenote: I have been trying to run Intel's Diagnostic Tool for my processor a couple times this morning and the PC seems to freeze at some point during test(usually at "Executing CPU Load") I'm getting a bad feeling it's my processor for sure now