Need advice on system upgrades.

Andestia

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Almost four years ago I bought a nice PC from HP. However, after three years I think its time for some upgrades. Currently the specs of my computer are as follows

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
4 GB ram DDR2 400 MHz (4 slots 1 gb stick each slot)
Not sure about my motherboard, all I can find is Pegatron Corp. Burbank model 1.01
GPU: Radeon HD 4850 1 gb
1 Tb Hard drive
D-link pci Wireless card
460W PSU

I primarly want to upgrade my memory to 8gb or 16gb preferred and my graphics card to the gigabyte 7950. Later id like to upgrade my processor to the Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor. I know in order for my to upgrade my graphics card to the 7950 I have to upgrade my power supply as well. So my questions are: what are my best options for upgrading? What memory sticks would be compatible with my older computer and where should I start. Or a twist? Is it more efficient for me to just build a mostly new computer? If I do build a new computer can I use my current hard drive that has Windows 7 on it? The Hard drive is only 6 months old. I basically want to know what my options are. If a building a new computer is recommended can I get a list of parts with either the graphics card I want and CPU Id like that would be extremely helpful. I'm not super knowledgeable but I learn fast. I've never built my own computer but am willing to do it.

Andestia

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Id probably be buying the parts over a period of time (college student, I get money when I can) But probably somewhere between 700-800 preferred. If it goes a bit over that would be okay.