~$900 Gaming Build after 5 years

Mahmud Iqbal

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Motives: I built my last system 5 years ago (In Signature), this is the first summer I will be working at my university and my parents dont have a computer other than mine, so I thought I would build a new one. Also its been a while and things have improved significantly (i-cpus, ssds, faster graphics).I want to try a Micro-atx this time (less room in university). I would like to go another 5-6 years on this build! I appreciate all advice, most importantly on how lower cost options, my ram choices and how futureproof this build seems.

Purchase Date: In two weeks (Mid May 2013)

System Usage: Games, Photoshop, Audio (I am kind of an audiophile, I want to buy the ASUS Xonar Essence ST later on), Watching Movies.

Stuff I already have: 23 inch 2048x1152 Sammy, Windows 8

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I prefer memoryexpress.com, ncix.com and then newegg.ca

Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (I prefer single cards, and it may be hard to fit two cards into my case)

Budget: $900 before tax and shipping. The prices are sale prices I have seen after rebates, not including shipping. I have been browsing redflagdeals.com (canadian equivalent of slick deals) to have found some pretty good prices, hopefully they come up again within the next 2-3 weeks.

Parts
Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K - $190
Graphics: PowerColor 7870 Tahiti LE - $210 (Purchased )
Motherboard: G1 Sniper M3 - $135
Memory: Any 8 Gb Kit really - Mushkin redline? - $40
System Drive: SanDisk Extreme 120GB - $75
Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB - $70
Case: Silverstone’s TJ08-E - $90
Optical: Samsung SH-222BB - $17
PSU: Corsair HX620 - $72 (Purchased)
CPU Cooler: Zalman cnps9900 max - $20 (Purchased)
Total Cost $919.00

Extra Info:
Processor: I have considered amd, but seems most games dont account for hyperthreading and amd is at a disadvantage. However I heard that if I go with AMD I wont have to switch motherboards for another processor?

Motherboard: I want to get the Maximus V Gene, however its too expensive for my build at $200, I have also considered the Asrock Fatal1ty Pro-m ($135).

Memory: I am not sure which types will work with my build, it seems to be dependent on CPU and Motherboard?

SSD/HD: I am now leaning towards just buying a single larger ssd (250gb for around $160-on sale) and skipping the storage drive, the only qualms are that I do watch movies sometimes and may run out of space.

Case: I really like the TJ08-E, I would like to keep it. However I prefer silence, I am not sure how quiet this case is.

Games: Starcraft 2, Battlefield 3, Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite (recieved with my video card!), Company of Heroes 2 (When it comes out) and Skyrim (havent played yet).

Thanks in advance!

05akari23

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013

Hey,
This looks pretty good, the mushkin will do you fine. You might want to consider the Bitfenix Prodigy as a case option? that thing looks pretty damn good. I would recommend the Fatal1ty, great for overclocking.
Have fun gaming!