Passive 3D monitor for AMD setup

davide445

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Will buy a setup with AMD 7870 ghz edition.

Using it both for serious gaming (simulation using game engine) and 3D video editing.

I'm a bit confused about what can be a cheap 3D monitor, and what limitations I can have. What response time I need to look for? Better DVI or DP?

Or can be better to have a good 2D monitor and use anaglifyc 3D? I have a good 3D TV to look a the final recorded result, so maybe I can use the monitor only for design purpose.

Solution
If you are going through your PC, and not through a DVD player, it has to support HD3D. AMD video cards require it. Period, end of story. Why is it so hard to understand that your video card has requirements for 3D? One more thing, the HDMI port has to support 1.4a. 1.4 doesn't work, though many 1.4a ports are labeled as 1.4 in the marketing ads, so you have to dig deep to make sure it works. Displayport also works, though if you look at old stuff, it will not mention it, as it was added only a year ago.

Note: there are some 3D Vision monitors that have support for PS3 and 3D DVD players through an HDMI 1.4a port. These will work too, but with the HDMI bandwidth limitations, which may not matter to you.

davide445

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Unfortunately I'm EU based so can't use Newegg.
I have checked this monitor, but the Nvidia support can be a problem with AMD GPU?
Also I will not really gaming, only design a 3D environment using a game engine and exploring it, recording my walk.

What can be the max lag that can be acceptable?

It wouldn't matter, the product is active and is a 3D Vision 2 monitor. It won't work with your 7870. I believe the LG Cinema displays are what you want. There may be others like them.

You will want one that specifically lists that it is HD3D. If it works for PS3, it likely is, but I don't know if that is always the case.

You'll need Tridef software for it to work, and as a passive system, your resolution gets chopped in half, causing text to look awful, by all that I've seen.

An active setup may be preferred, though Nvidia 3D Vision is better at it, Samsung makes a few HD3D monitors that use either displayport or dual link DVI-D.

davide445

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I don't understand. Why I need to care about HD3D if I will not game?

Unless you plan to connect a DVD player directly to the monitor, it has to work with your video card. Your video card only works in 3D with HD3D. Mine only works with 3D Vision, though 3DTV play can work with some that aren't.

davide445

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Serious gaming mean I want to use a game engine to design a simulation for business purpose, not for gaming. This simulation will output a 3D (stereo) video that I need to edit (in fact will be a short promo video).

So I will not "gaming" in the common meaning, but use gaming technology to do something else.

About HD3D I simply can't understand...if the game engine or the video editor sent to monitor a 3D signal (i.e. HDMI 1.4) this will be displayed....why need to use proprietary technology?

davide445

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I was checking LG listed model D2342P, but it's discontinued, the new D2352 it's available.
AMD never update supported models?
Also what exactly is supposed HD3D to do that can't be done on standard HDMI?

HD3D is an open standard, but many monitors are using 3D Vision's proprietary technology as well as possible other tech. You have to make sure to use one that is HD3D.

AMD uses HD3D, Nvidia uses 3D Vision with special software to work with a few HD3D TV's, but not a lot.

Just because a monitor has an HDMI 1.4 port, and is a 3D monitor, does not mean that port is configured to send a 3D signal. It may have been designed to use DVD-D instead. Mostly, but not always, HD3D uses HDMI and displayport connections, and 3D Vision uses DL DVD-D connections.

Simply put, you have an AMD product, get technology that works with it, which is HD3D.

Note: In the monitor world, there are more created using proprietary technology than open technology. Or at least that is what people talk about on the forums the most, as 3D Vision is generally considered the better tech.

davide445

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Yes I know 3D Vision it's better supported, anyway I won't change AMD choice for VGA, it's my choice for various reasons and 3D it's not my primary need, even if I need to work it out.

But to understand: suppose I have a 3D video file in BD-like .m2ts container, I can play it directly to my 3D TV.
Why can't I do the same to my PC monitor and I need specific drivers and technologies such as HD3D or 3D Vision?

Also considering certified HD3D monitors are quite few and mostly discontinued, who can I ask for if a new model can be compatible?

If you are going through your PC, and not through a DVD player, it has to support HD3D. AMD video cards require it. Period, end of story. Why is it so hard to understand that your video card has requirements for 3D? One more thing, the HDMI port has to support 1.4a. 1.4 doesn't work, though many 1.4a ports are labeled as 1.4 in the marketing ads, so you have to dig deep to make sure it works. Displayport also works, though if you look at old stuff, it will not mention it, as it was added only a year ago.

Note: there are some 3D Vision monitors that have support for PS3 and 3D DVD players through an HDMI 1.4a port. These will work too, but with the HDMI bandwidth limitations, which may not matter to you.

Solution