while gaming monitor turns off (no input) and computer needs hard restart

doddles

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
So I recently bought a gaming setup, nothing amazing but certainly capable of playing most modern games at good settings. But whenever I play games like Mount and Blade, Assassin's Creed, GTA4, Saints Row 3 I have problems with crashing inside 10 minutes of playing

The monitor says no input, the sound carries on for a few seconds then there's a short, jarring sound and then audio is off. The computer appears to be still on and requires a hard restart

Here's my specs:
P8Z77-VLX motherboard
Intel core i5 (sandy bridge) overclocked to 4.5GHz
NVIDEA geforce GTX 660
Chillblast(place I got the computer) 700 watt PSU
8gb RAM

I do have a very old monitor but I wasn't sure if the monitor can cause these problems? I know very little about computers :/

I have/am Memtest-ing it and nothing seems wrong

Thank you for any help

Soarin

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Are all your drivers updated?

Goto www.geforce.com/drivers

If you don't know about your computer than I reccomend doing auto-detect. But it also could be your monitor, make sure the HDMI/DVI/VGA cable is plugged in.

I hope this helped, you can find a 1080p monitor off of Newegg.com for about $120, 22".

doddles

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

I've updated the drivers and it still happens, is the problem how I've got the monitor connected? When I plug it into the only VGA port it isn't detected so I have it plugged into the only DVI port (using a VGA DVI adapter which is new) which appears to plug into a different location. I am planning to buy a monitor but I just don't have the money. No HDMI port on the monitor.

Also I noticed that the computer reboots itself after the crashes and the monitor is connected when it restarts

Soarin

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
You positive your cable is plugged into your graphics card? Because if it's into your intergraded, it can be VERY buggy.

doddles

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

I couldn't tell you so I'll give you a picture http://www.imgur.com/kftuVsz.jpeg I plug in the monitor to the DVI port directly below the wifi antenae. (In line with the CE sticker)

There are 2 other DVIs visible but they seem to require slightly different connector. My monitor doesn't recognise the VGA port at the top

doddles

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

How can I do that?

songorocosongo

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011

just look at it or touch it

I was having the same issue with my 660 and it turned out to be that the graphics carg it a little too heavy and the weight inclines it a little. So now I have a box holding it in place. It also happened sometimes after I finished playing BF3. I think that was a heat issue so now whenever I turn my PC on I opnen PrecisionX and set the fan speed to maximum

doddles

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Think I realised what's wrong.... I'm facepalming so hard right now

I'm an idiot, I hadn't realised the computer would come with vac pac in the inside.... haha I can't believe I've been trying to run the computer with a hefty bit of sponge and plastic inside it... soooo stupid