Graphics Card or MOBO?

Saromil

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Hi there. I have a Radeon HD 5770. I was having some issues with themonitor suddenly turning off, with the computer still running, while I was playing LOTRO. It would happen pretty randomly, anywhere from 5 hours to 5 minutes in game. Not long after it would occasionally start doing this at the normal desktop. Each time I'd have to restart my computer. Today it did this, when I rebooted it did it again as soon as I'd logged in.Tried logging in again, and now it is telling me there is no signal. Tried both the HDMI and DVI on the card - when that didn't work I took it out and tried the onboard VGA slot, still no display there.
So, if it's still doing this then it's probably the Motherboard, right?

akruet227

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
This could go three different ways. I would first recommend that you find an older graphics card sitting around in your house or ask a friend if you could borrow one for a couple of days and try that out before you go out buying anything. If you are still experiencing the same problems with a different graphics card, get a new motherboard. If you don't have any problems whatsoever, you would need to upgrade your graphics card. Also try to hook up a different computer to the same monitor, such as a laptop to see if you are still having problems. You might not have anything wrong with your components and it is your monitor acting up.

Saromil

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013

Thanks for the quick reply, Arkuet! I'll have to see about getting a new card to try, not sure if I know anyone willing to part with one for a bit. The monitor works fine attached to my laptop, and the HDMI cord is working fine with my PS3 and TV, so no problems there. I'll update after I find a card!