Are these good specs for PC gaming that will set me for the future?

Iliketurtles

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
GTX 680 4gb GPU
i7 3770k CPU (Not overclocking)
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO motherboard
16 gigs of ram
Corsair H60 water cooler (just incase I do decide to overclock)
1000 Watts
Also, should I even go with the i7 3770k? I hear in the near future, six core cpus will be something people will focus on and none of the same motherboards support the 3820, or the 3930, or 3970x.

Ill probably get a next generation console eventually(ps4 or new xbox) but im worried that my PC will be less powerful.
I know absolutely nothing or close to it, about PC gaming, so please help me out guys.

Ill be running this PC on my HDTV at 1080p.

Want to play skyrim with heavy mods, as well as GTA 4 heavily modded WITH 50 plus framrate.

david cassar

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
I will assure you that this pc is better than the next gen consoles. Also if you are gaming 16gb of ram is a waste. Get 8gb instead of 16. Also for gaming you don't need an i7. The i5 3570k is right now the best processor for gaming since games don't get any advantages from hypertreading. Also the cpu cooler is rather bad and is beaten by good air coolers. Save some money and get a good cheap air cooler like the hyper 212+. Other than that you are fine.
(also if you can be patient intel hasswell cpus are going to come out soon and will be on a new socket.

splinter007

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Your PC will not be less powerful than new consoles. Microsoft can't afford to stick a $500 graphics card in an xbox.

By the time more games use more than 2 cores is when your CPU will already be outdated.

Some things you need to know though:
- I have a GTX 670 FTW and I can run heavily modded Skyrim easily. Sometimes the FPS dips to like 45 at random times. The game is heavily CPU dependent. Make sure to overclock for this one.

- GTA4.... this game is incredibly poorly optimized for PC. Even 690's have trouble with this game. Hopefully they'll made GTA5 better...

TRENDING THREADS