Lenovo h520s PC case upgrade to ATX case or Micro ATX case

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Hi

I'm in a bit of a situation with my Lenovo h520s in upgrading as I wish to upgrade to a bigger graphics card but the case is too small, and the psu wattage is too low, in order to get a new graphics card i would need a new psu with more wattage and in order to get a normal ATX psu i would need to upgrade the case to either a mATX case or an ATX case,

My concern is, I am not sure what type of Motherboard I have? I think it might be a micro ITX but i am not sure, here is the link to my PC: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410888,00.asp.I ran CPU Z on my PC and it says my mainboard is called "Lenovo Mahobay" I would also like to know if i could fit my motherboard in this chassis: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-033-AE&tool=5

Or this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-029-AE&groupid=2362&catid=2278

Or this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-302-CM&tool=5 I noticed on this one it supports mini itx, but I need to know if my Motherboard is mini itx or not!, Help me please

And if none of them do fit, what case can i buy thats big enougn for my needs.

Please reply ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

I would definately not classify as a professional athough I am rather adept at computers (been playing with them since keypunch in the 60's) but I will say you'll be fine choosing that case for the swap. Page 25 of the maintenance manual shows where your front panel connectors are one the motherboard; Front Audio Connector, Front USB Connectors, everything to connect the new case but as of yet, I cannot find a pinout diagram - it'll be printed on the motherbord though
I'm also going to present this PSU as a very good upgrade option XFX Pro 550W Core Edition '80 Plus Bronze' reviewed here http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=225 (linked to conclusion page) Beware of cheap PSU's, although tempting in price it is important to keep in mind that your entire computer relies upon good 'clean' power from it

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
The case says it has a usb 3.0 connector header, would i have to leave that, or does my motherboard support USB 3.0?,

And is that Power supply good for gaming. And just one more question i'm a little bit weary on the front panel connections, and where would i wire that front LED fan as it looks really good looking and i would like to wire that also, just don't want to screw anything up, Need it in a bit more depth if that's alright?,

Thank you

Your motherboard does not provide for USB 3.0 and it appears CM does not include a USB 2.0 - USB 3.0 adapter with that case. You can either bundle up the USB 3.0 cables and tuck them away or, you can get an adapter so the front panel ports will work but as USB 2.0.
That PSU is an excellent choice (IMO) for a gaming rig, Seasonic, who makes the PSU for XFX, is a highly reputable PSU manufacturer who offer good design and components in their PSU's (personal note: If I were ever to become a fanboy for any particular brand, it would be Seasonic PSU's)
Although the front panel header looks to be standard, I'll look into it a little more just to be sure - at worst, I might need you to take a close up picture of the header

The PCIe slot is not a problem, it's very standardized, the problems arise from the case design. The Enforcer case has a removable hard drive cage which makes room for even the largest of graphics cards so no problems there

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

can you explain where the power switch, reset switch, hard drive LED go? sorry about all the questions its just, you are the person i have been trying to find!!!

That'll be the front panel pinout which I am still looking for - EliteGroup doesn't show that motherboard on their support site (not unusual) and the computer is new enough that the info isn't widely distibuted yet. In this case I think it would be easiest if you took a picture of the motherboard's front panel connector header (as close as possible while leaving any writing nearby in frame). I should be able to work from that. You can post to photobucket or... (I will need detail in the pic)

On a side note, just something I came across while going through Lenovo's website, are you aware that swapping the case will void your warranty with Lenovo?

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Yeahh I know it would void the warranty but if it gets broken i'm more than likely gonna know what it is or if not i can send it to the computer store across the street, ok i will get that photo to you

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Yeahh I know it would void the warranty but if it gets broken i'm more than likely gonna know what it is or if not i can send it to the computer store across the street, ok i will get that photo to you

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Ok now i have another problem that needs answering, does my motherboard have the right power ports to support regular front panel ports?, My sister wont let me use her camera, at the moment i am unable to get that picture

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

It is all just one cable for the power switch and all that

Have you gotten your case yet?
Cables inside the case will be for Sound (possibly both HD and standard - you would use HD if available), USB 2.0 one connector splits into two USB cables to two ports, USB 3.0 cable (without an adapter, simply bundle up and tuck away) the connector is big and usually blue, there shouldn't be any issues identifying it, you'll get a motherboard speaker with the case (there will likely be no use for that, you can put it away)
12-201-032-TS
looks like that

These are the connectors you are going to be most interested in
kk-connectors.jpg

In this picture the white wires are the - while the colored ones are the + it's only important for the led's - reset and power switches are momentary switches and don't care about polarity although if specified it should be followed
last pic is my motherboard's front panel header
front_pins_small.jpg

(purposely you can't read the header labels) You'll notice the right below it there are corresponding markings - those are the header labels and explain which pins are used for what. Most all motherboards include this information printed on them next to the header - it may be a bit offset but it'll be there somewhere - following it you should be able to find homes for all of your connections - USB and Sound, same thing only easier

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

I counted the pins of my front panel connector and it adds up to 12 pins + 1 extra pin at the side will my motherboard take those front panel connectors? I will post up that photo later my sister will let me use her camera.

KieranDavidW123

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Here is the picture, That is the front panel connector, for the switch and hard drive activity

http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/KieranDavidW123/media/IMG-20130503-00946_zps157c6158.jpg.html