Would diasabling 2 AMD FX -4170 cores improve the overall performance of the CPU

t1mone

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I have been looking into my AMD FX-4170 and i have come accross many people saying that disabling 1 core from each of the 2 bulldozer clusters would improve performance, as each core wouldn't be sharing memory with its other core. would this improve my performance in gaming and single thread processes?

t1mone

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
Why would it weaken when both threads would have more memory to work with and would not have to compete with other cores?

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
In single threaded or double threaded software it might help however I doubt it. I don't quite understand what you mean by the cores are competing for memory. What memory? The CPU caches? That doesn't really matter when it comes to gaming. Disabling 2 cores in games like BF3 will almost cut your performance almost in half because BF3 is well optimized for up to 8 cores.

popatim

Titan
what they are trying to get across is that that the 2 cores that dont have FPU access are still usefull. Single threaded apps it would make 0 difference if you disable 2 cores; its only 1 thread so it matters little if 1 core is idle or 3.

Rugnir_Viking

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
if you are looking at stupid overclocks with it then yes. shutting cores can and will lower temps and cut power use, and that allows higher oc to a point. not practical for ordinary use, and any multithready software will lose out hugely.