Does My Office Rig Need Dedicated Graphics?

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I'm looking for a graphics card for an office rig used mainly for Quickbooks and browsing. The motherboard has integrated Radeon HD 4200 graphics, but I sometimes wonder how good that chip really is. The rig will not be used for any gaming. Do you think it would benefit from dedicated graphics?

If all you are doing is office work, you don't need to buy a dedicated graphics card, the integrated is adequate for web browsing and office applications.

You only really would need to look at a dedicated graphics card for that machine if you wanted to play HD video smoothly, do anything that requires 3D graphics rendering, or run more than 2 displays.

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Ah, there I was just wondering about HD video playback. I have noticed some hiccups during videos. To what extent do you think the HD 4200 chipset can handle? And if I was to get a small dedicated graphics card, which one would you recommend?

The 4200 can handle standard definition playback fine, but might struggle a bit with HD. Fortunately, HD playback is not a very GPU intensive task, and even a really cheap video card like a Radeon HD 6450 or a GeForce 610 would be adequate for that task. Keep in mind that if your office computer is a small form factor system, eg. a slimline case, you will have to look for a low profile video card.