PC Games Still Freezing After 3 Different Graphics Cards

Tags:
  • freezing
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Computers
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2013 7:46:06 PM

SOLVED: It was a faulty psu. I switched to a Corsair 600 watt and everything is working!

Just a heads up, I am not savvy when it comes to computers. I had no idea I would have this much trouble upgrading my graphics card.

I originally got a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 and it kept freezing only when I would play games (BF3, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, DS3). The freezing would happen at random times when I played. Sometimes when the computer froze the snowfall or background animation would still be moving with only the character frozen. This mostly only occurred during a cut scene. When I was actually in control of the character, everything in the game would freeze and the audio would continuously loop (Making a buzzing noise sometimes). The only remedy was to perform a hard reset.

I am pretty sure it is not overheating. I do not get more than 30min into one play session without it freezing.

After much looking through forums, I figured it was a graphics card issue. I got an ASUS Radeon HD 7870, only to have the same exact problems. I then proceeded to get a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti only to have the same problems once again.

My power supply is a 650w Inland ATX (ATX ILG-650E)
It is an ASUS computer with a 2nd generation i5 CPU.
It has 8gb of DDR3 ram.
My drivers were all up to date with each different graphics card (I even tried earlier versions/betas with no luck).

At this point, I am endlessly frustrated. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I have no idea what my next step should be. Thanks!

More about : games freezing graphics cards

April 28, 2013 7:52:20 PM

What is the exact model of your psu? As well have you tried anything to manually control the fans on the video card. Something like the asus gpu tweak or evga precision and try turning your fans up to max and play? It will be loud but it might tell you something that your fans aren't turning up when they are supposed to in which case you could make your own fan profile.
April 28, 2013 8:03:16 PM

Airm3n said:
What is the exact model of your psu? As well have you tried anything to manually control the fans on the video card. Something like the asus gpu tweak or evga precision and try turning your fans up to max and play? It will be loud but it might tell you something that your fans aren't turning up when they are supposed to in which case you could make your own fan profile.

ATX ILG-650E
http://www.microcenter.com/product/395049/Bronze_80_ILG...

I have manually controlled my fans with the previous two graphics cards, but not with my newest one. I read on a forum to try that with no luck, sadly. I'll try it with the new one, though!
Related resources
April 28, 2013 8:16:36 PM

How old is that psu lol I wasn't even aware you could still buy switching psu's like that :) . Did it come with pci-e adapters at all to plug into your graphics card? It looks a bit suspicious to me as a lot of older psu's don't put a lot of power on the 12v which is what you need.
http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requi...
Geforce GTX 660ti - 24A and a 450W PSU minimum is what it says but thats depending on how much you are getting on the 12v rail. Maybe if you could get a picture of the side of the psu with some specs on it.
April 28, 2013 8:19:17 PM

As well have you checked to see if your cpu heatsink is properly seated and not come loose? I know some of the intel heatsinks that come stock are really crappy and do not hold up well under load(at least what i've found). Because if the heatsink is off just marginally as the load goes up on the cpu and it gets hotter it will go up and up until it reaches the tdp then it will slow itself down until locking up the computer or possibly giving you bsod.
April 28, 2013 8:35:39 PM

Airm3n said:
How old is that psu lol I wasn't even aware you could still buy switching psu's like that :) . Did it come with pci-e adapters at all to plug into your graphics card? It looks a bit suspicious to me as a lot of older psu's don't put a lot of power on the 12v which is what you need.
http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requi...
Geforce GTX 660ti - 24A and a 450W PSU minimum is what it says but thats depending on how much you are getting on the 12v rail. Maybe if you could get a picture of the side of the psu with some specs on it.

haha it was on sale at Micro Center and I couldn't resist! I spoke to a guy that worked at Micro Center and he said it would be fine for the graphics card. It came with 2 pci-e adapters. I have a Corsair 500 watt power supply that I was planning on returning to Amazon. Is it worth it to pull the other one out and see if the Corsair solves the problem before I send it back?

In reply to what you said about the cpu, I'll check it out tomorrow evening after classes!

April 28, 2013 9:32:29 PM

I would try the corsair unit before returning it and see yes. Even corsairs cheap psu's run quite well.
a c 100 U Graphics card
April 28, 2013 10:37:45 PM

I would say it is not your graphics card. Honestly it can be virtually be anything. Bad RAM, overheating, bad motherboard, bad psu, etc

Can you watch CPU temps?
Also run Memtest86
April 29, 2013 11:06:04 AM

smeezekitty said:
I would say it is not your graphics card. Honestly it can be virtually be anything. Bad RAM, overheating, bad motherboard, bad psu, etc

Can you watch CPU temps?
Also run Memtest86

Dang... That is what I thought. I'll run Memtest86 and I'll try to trade out the psu and see if that is the problem. Thanks guys for all the help! I'll let you know if anything works.
April 30, 2013 1:11:57 PM

Alright, I tried the Corsair psu (which was actually a 600watt) and everything seems to be running fine! No freezes yet and I have put in an hour with two different games! I can't believe it was a faulty psu.
Thank you guys so much!
a b U Graphics card
May 1, 2013 5:31:51 PM

Now you know never buy no name psu's. Kinda like buying cheap gas for your sports car it might run it but probably like crap :) . Save this link :
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
When looking for psu's compare it to there it shouldn't lead you astray it sure hasn't for me. I use corsair psu's for the most part and have had no issues with them as of yet. Chances are it just wasn't stable enough and you were getting some fluctuations from it.
May 28, 2013 7:05:27 PM

I switched my power supply to a Corsair and I have not had any problems since the swap!
!