$1400 (max) Gaming/Let's Play Rig

noxvulpes

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Hi, I was going to order a computer from Cyberpower... but after hearing all of the horror stories from their forums I decided to actually build a computer this time instead. [strike](Actually in the middle of cancelling my order with them. >.>;;)[/strike]

I have a Dell XPS 8300 currently (lasted 2 years with no issues), but I am looking into maybe doing some let's plays and I'm assuming I'd need to upgrade in order to do so.

Current Specs:
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz
8GB RAM (I'm guessing it's at 1333MHz)
Radeon HD 6700 Series (1GB)

Approximate Purchase Date: Sometime in May or June at the latest. (No rush.)

Budget Range: I can manage around $1400 with shipping. If I can make something for around $1000 I'd be ecstatic!

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, basic video editing, image editing/art

Are you buying a monitor: No, sticking with my LG IPS231

Parts to Upgrade: I've done a bit of research, and I've currently just resigned myself to just buying all the parts new and selling my old PC to a friend of mine or eBay.

Do you need to buy OS: Most likely (new motherboard). Windows 7 64-bit is preferred.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, amazon.com (I've got Prime.)

Location: Richmond, CA--This is in the Bay Area. I have access to a Best Buy and a Fry's.

Parts Preferences:
Intel CPUs.
Interested in getting an nVidia card this time--2GB.
I have a case already in mind (COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer).
Probably 16GB of RAM (don't know if this is really necessary or overkill).
2TB Hard drive. Not sure about SSD's in general (would rather not have a drive inevitably die on me...).

Overclocking: No. My income tends to fluctuate, so I'd rather not have something that needs to be replaced if life decides to screw me over. :X

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Must be able to play heavily modded Skyrim. Perhaps with ENB (that's not a dealbreaker though). My room is too far away from the cable router to plug it in via Ethernet so I need a wifi card or wifi built into the motherboard. If suggesting a different case, it must be at or less than 19"--I have limited space for a tower under my desk hutch. I have a capture card waiting to be installed into my new rig (PCI-E).

Thanks for reading all that! I'm looking forward to your suggestions. :D

Marcopolo123

Honorable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($82.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.16 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($97.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($123.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1259.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-29 04:34 EDT-0400)

750w leaves you the option for crossfire...

noxvulpes

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Hm. While I believe you had the best intentions, I don't think you actually read my post. :( Thanks for your suggestion, though.

noxvulpes

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
If you had read my post all the way through, you'd know what was wrong. >__< Most important to note is:

"Interested in getting an nVidia card this time--2GB."
"I have a case already in mind (COOLER MASTER Storm Enforcer). If suggesting a different case, it must be at or less than 19"--I have limited space for a tower under my desk hutch."

I'll read some more of the posts around this forum and post back when I have some pieces picked out, I guess. Suggestions/builds are still welcome. :)

khaledegy200

Honorable
May 8, 2013

I don't really think that u need to upgrade.

Your cpu is a beast and can handle any game for years.

only the gpu needs to upgrade.

the ram is perfect and there is no much diff between 1333mhz and 1600mhz so dont worry about it.

For the gpu, here is some suggestions which will max out every game for years:-
1.SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100351VXSR Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

2.EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

And Here is a bench which will let u decide between these 2 cards.

I hope this helps.