Intel's Reference 'North Cape' Laptop / Tablet Design Has 10 + 3 Hours of Battery Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Unless it's rocking a high end (unlikely) Haswell chip, it's unlikely they are gonna sell many for $799 to $899.
I think the iPad currently is the the "high" of tablet pricing. At this price point it's more economical to buy a proper Ultrabook or 13" laptop with a larger battery.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008

The keyboard is probably super thin to make the combination tablet-keyboard manageable, thus it's got less room for a large battery.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
hwo will it shrink... the article says
"13” FHD (1920 x 1080) display that when detached from the keyboard dock shrinks to a more “hand friendly” 11.6” capacitive screen that will “ignore your grip along the sides of the screen.”
what worries me is the electronice ctach seems like somethign else to break to me, imo it should be mechanical and manual would suck to have a small servo go out and be stuck in laptop mode

funguseater

Distinguished
If they can squeeze in an i5 this will be a great choice at 13 hrs of battery life. even at 799, some of us work without the benefit of readily available AC outlets. I hope someone manages a hack to stop the screen from shrinking though.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Anyway, this is targeted at notebook users, rather than tablet users.
If most notebooks will be like that, people who buy notebooks would hardly bother buying a tablet.
Win/Win for Wintel if it works.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
It'll shrink in the sense that the border pixels will turn off. Excuse the news section writers, only three know what they're writing about.

InvalidError

Titan

If I had to design such a laptop, the main reason for putting a secondary battery in the keyboard would be to provide counter-weight for the docked screen/tablet and prevent it from tilting the keyboard over.

The keyboard battery likely isn't much larger/heavier than necessary to achieve that goal and would likely be located near the front of the keyboard (in the wrist rest/trackpad area) to maximize leverage.

Nothing particularly new here... basically MS Surface or Asus Transformer with a secondary battery stuffed in the keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.