Maximize use for 1 SSD and 1HDD. (Partitions, Backups, etc)

hotwheelz07

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
I have a 128gb SSD and am getting a 2tb HDD. This is a new build and has nothing installed yet(not even os). Since this is my first build I have not even powered it up for the bios for the first time. Anyway I was wanting to maximize speed with the ssd and not clog it up. I have little experience with partitions and really dont understand what ahci or raid(what they do and mean). I am a newbie at this so it will have to be detailed instructions on what to do!

Thanks in advance!

popatim

Titan
ide/compatability, ahci, and raid are modes teh sata controller can be in.
Ide is to maintain compatibility with older OS's and software. AHCi is more modern and supports advanced features like trim and drive removeability.
Raid is for having multiple drives work together to improve performance or redundancy.

The advantage of SSD over HDD is how fast multiple files can load making it great for loading the operating system to as well as some programs. Obviously loading some things which don't require great speed to it are a complete waste, like mp3's. HDD's while much faster nowerdays than they were 5 years ago they are still slow by comparison but what they lack in speed they make up for in space. This is where you want to load less seldom used apps & programs and those that don't need speed as well as all you data.

Backups are copies of the files you cant afford to lose. Backups should be external to the system. ideally one kept onsite and one kept offsite.

popatim

Titan
Backups often include convenience items. For example a full backup would include your OS, programs, & data - make a complete restore very easy and avoiding having to re-install pretty much everything and saving you many hours of time.

Most users choose AHCI mode for which they would install windows to the SSD without another HDD or SSD connected to the pc. Once windows is installed you can power down and install the HDD. When installing programs remember to select the HDD for the stuff you want there.

Theres a guide in one of the sticky thread at the top of this forum for ssd optimizations and how to move your user folder to the hdd which also should be done.