Another New Rig Post - Sandy or Ivy + correct Mobo

satch_stef

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Hello !!

I don't won't to bother too much - New Generation Ivy CPU's is probably "better" when it comes to performance - HOWever after reading this post over and over again http://giatrakis.wix.com/john-giatrakis ivy is a no-go for me, at least until something else comes out.

Current Rig is getting older by year * 7 years used for hardcore gaming(early days) and video editing

Bottom line is, I'll spend more on a new durable mobo capable of overclocking for future incoming cpu's

PS Is double ssd raid 0, 2xGPU's necessary to actually understand CPU performance?

My current specs.( I can get fair FPS in most games)

I5-750 Oc at 3.20 GHz, (It used to be OC at 4.0 for surprising about 3 years - and now its showing some sings of wear)
16gb RAM at 1600
2+1 Tera hdd
Gigabyte P55A UD3R
GV-R687OC-1GD
650w Coolermaster PSU

So, any tips for the new rig? I'm keeping my RAM, CASE ( Maybe GPU).
I cannot spend more than 800-900$

First Shout out is Asrock z77 extreme 4

I'm new in all of this so any enlightening is much appreciated!!!

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
How about this :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($175.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $867.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-05-01 12:55 EDT-0400)

RangerFromTheNorth

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Hold out for a couple of months and get the new chipset. Not that you'll need it for actual performance, but it is going to be a whole new slot (LGA1150 vs. the current 1155). Nice thing about that is that you should be able to count on Intel keeping the new slot for at least 2 generations and you can upgrade the CPU in the second gen and keep everything else. But for all intents and purposes waiting is not necessary in order to handle any foreseeable computing tasks. Even my Sandybridge system should be sufficient for even the most demanding upcoming games. So if needs are immediate don't wait.

satch_stef

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

The only reason I'd wait for Haswell to come out is buying priced down ivy bridge. Prices will drop as competition rises,

Something else that thing that troubles me with 3570k is not supporting hyper threading. I'll just overclock it enough if necessary

satch_stef

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

Tnx for your input -
What do you think of
1.Asrock Extreme 6 for overclocking ,,, I read some detailed reviews on it and loved it. Especially the VRM upgrade, Much juicier and better quality then extreme 4.

2. PSU OZ Mk II 750W 80+ Silver (I'll SLI my GPU in the near future)
3. EVGA gtx660 superclocked - Really like it. That's what mu budget can afford + they have some neat customer support
4. Probably getting RAM 1.5 dough .. any suggestion?
Need 16gb as I run VM's quite allot + Video Editing and some audio encoding.

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
If you're talking about this MB : http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/
Then by all means you should get it,it has 8 + 4 Power Phase Design which gives you plenty of room to OC and also has lots of positive reviews.

The PSU is NOT a good brand, if you want to OC/SLI you should get a quality PSU that you can depend on in extreme conditions, as you can see in this
list : http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Seasonic is NO.1 brand is PSU industry; all quality PSU brands make thier units by seasonic, and PSU I listed (M12II) is Tier 2 (Top Quality components With Top Notch Stability) while OCZ PSU didn't make even tier 3. So I'd recommend that you stick to Seasonic.

The 7870 XT will smoke the gtx 660 hands down : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/395019-33-7870

HD 7870 XT is really a cut-down 7950 so it's a true winner.

And the most important part for "hardcore gaming" is the GPU, so don't settle for less :)

Ram part : I thought you already have set of ram, so i'm not sure what are you talking about

BEST LUCK

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Is that really a good reason to upgrade though? for the new socket?

Its never worth upgrading to the immediate next generation usually (ie. sandy to ivy), unless you go for i3 to i5/i7.

satch_stef

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I'm only waiting for the upcoming hewitt socket ... at least for the price drop.

From that point on I'll get either sandy bridge or Ivy Bridge (if water cooling)
I'm still quite skeptical on water cooling as I intend to oveclock , however I move my tower allot.

Any advice on watercooling? I was thinking to get only cpu Cooling with one waterblock but I've read that reservoir helps reducing bubbles and its easier to maintain the liquid ..
Never had watercooling. Probably I'm getting the whole bundle Alphacool NexXxoS Cool Answer 240 LT/ST , any advice?

Thanks!!

Changing My PSU for Seassonic - tnx for that
Noted on GPU 7870 is hands down better than 660ti

TRENDING THREADS