HELP choose NEW MONITOR! 144 hz vs 60 hz IPS

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
I am currently thinking about replacing my Dell E193FP 19" 4:3 monitor with a 1920 x 1080 Dell or Asus Monitor. The question is should I go with an Asus VG248QE at 144hz (1ms response) or Dell UltraSharp IPS U2412M at 60hz? I play games, record music in Cubase and edit video in Adobe CS5.

I have had the 19" Dell for a long time and it's a good monitor for what it is/was. I haven't really needed to upgrade the monitor because I use my Sony Bravia 32EX710 for gaming and it looks pretty good. I like the color of the display and has smoother motion than my Dell, or most of my friends tvs. However I do still notice some blurriness in games even when the Motionflow settings are all the way up. I guess I'm very sensitive to this because sometimes it is very distracting.

Anyways, I am starting a few newer projects with Adobe and Cubase and extra screen real estate would be a huge help(feels kinda cramped sometimes in 4:3).

I'm torn between another Dell with an IPS display, which I've heard have much better color presentation, and the ASUS which would (from what I've read) eliminate ghosting almost entirely. I really like the idea of a very fluid display.

Would I notice enough of an improvement over my current old E193FP with an ASUS VG248QE as far as sharpness/ color, or would it at least be on par with it?

Or would I be "disgusted" with the color as some have said? Would it negatively affect my video editing and I'd be better off leaning toward the more colorful but lower refresh rate of the Ultrasharp?

I'm guessing that at 8ms response the Ultrasharp would look better than my current 16ms, but I don't think it would eliminate the annoying ghosting for games.

Any help or insight would be extremely awesome in helping me decide!

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
60 hz monitor. You wont notice the diffrence with a faster refresh rate. Doubt your games will go over 60 fps anyways, if they do then u need to crank up the settings.

Also the dell ips doesnt have horrible ghosting so you'll be fine. Its one of the better ips monitors in terms of ghosting. Im using one right now and i dont notice anything. Dont only look at response times as they are often not accurate and they are not the only determinants for ghosting.

Heres a review on the monitor and near the bottom they the stuff about ghosting and input lag. Its a very good monitor overall

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

BwwwJ1st

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2012
I have the Asus VG248QE and gaming is great at 144HZ and no vsync. But it's colors may not be the best for your video editing. Out of the box colors can be fixed with a little web search for a color profile.

If you want the best of both worlds, go with a BenQ XL 2420T. It's got color accuracy that almost rivals good IPS panels, with a 120Hz refresh rate. It's the best TN panel out there, aside from a select few $600+ korean imports / iiyamas.

Really what it comes down to though is the games you play. For mostly single player games like bioshock, 60Hz is plenty. For multiplayer shooters though, or anything like that, 120Hz feels so buttery smooth that you'll think you're cheating. (Azn Cracker is dead wrong about not noticing the refresh rate, though - after just a week with a 120Hz monitor, playing games 60fps/Hz felt laggy to me.)