Report: Intel Bay Trail Tablets to Arrive in Q4 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
"Quad-core Atom" Never thought I'd read that in my entire life hahaha.
On a serious note, I'm curious to see how Intel will compete with ARM tablets in the future. I'm kind of expecting AMD's tablets to not do so well with battery life because AMD never was too good with power consumption. But who knows. They are GREAT with integrated graphics.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Seeing as the current Atom tablets beat ALL other Droid tabs these Quad tabs should really destroy the competition. ...Graphics had better improve as they're currently so damn weak

InvalidError

Titan
Since Google strongly recommends against using the NDK, most Android apps are pure Java so device manufacturers and developers do not need to worry about which CPU ends up under the glass. If Intel's new Atom delivers performance, power-efficiency and pricing that can compare favorably against ARM, the tides can change almost overnight.
Intel certainly has the process advantage to make it happen and their low-power Celeron demo from a few months ago has shown that Intel can actually make x86 chips that can beat ARM on both power-efficiency and performance most of the time by surprising margins... 3-8X the performance for ~2X the peak power.
At this point, I think the only thing Intel can fail on is pricing.

processing power wise, these chips should destroy the ARM based tablets no problem. the main issue will be price, and how power-efficient AMD's Temash offerings end up being.

Generally, the dual core version will be a 3-4W max TDP part and the quad core will be a 5-6W max TDP part. The quad can also be unlocked when docked to go up to 14W max TDP for the Turbo performance mode.

For the dual core A4-1200, the reference APU apparently consumes 1.2W when idle, 1.4W during browsing, and 2.35W when playing h.264 online video at 1080p resolution.

Meaning total platform power for these types of activities is 2.8W, 3.7W and 5.3W respectively.

(Note: This was copied from a 'comments' section yesterday from an article on a new Acer Temash notebook -- that was subsequently taken down.)

I suspect it depends on the 'boost' given the GCN cores ... The article claimed more than 2X the performance of the Bobcat 'SIMD Engine Array"

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
This slide is months old, and it doesn't say the tablets will be available, just the chips will be flowing. Big difference here. I'll be surprised to see this before Q1. According to Intel slides it only goes into QA in Q4 so how the heck can it get into a device by then? I wish toms would stop quoting old crap calling it new. I refuted this slide ages ago elsewhere.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
AFter looking again, Nov-Jan 14 production, it will be lucky to make it into a Q1 product.
To date google has had the fastest chip received->product intro (4.5mo I think), so no Q1 crap for this chip unless Intel pulls off a miracle which from Jan data, this can't be done. Even if they hit Early Nov (instead of Jan), you can't get a product made with it for another 4.5mo or more. So Q2 products if manufacturing in Nov-Jan. If it's Jan this will be LATE Q2 products.
Nuff said.

kirilmatt

Distinguished
May 6, 2013
I think 2013 will be unlikely, I've mostly heard 2014. As for atom not have AMD64, the current ones do, my old one from 2007 does. However Intel crippled them with 2gb or less of ram. I think AMD has a huge chance here, they have design wins, they have timing on their side and they will destroy Intel in iGPU performance. Turbo dock is cool as well. Temash is a better rounded chip overall and we still know pretty much nothing about bay trail while AMD is already demoing temash and going to be in products very soon

Status
Not open for further replies.