Report: Demand For Windows-based Tablets Increasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Given the choice of buying a jailinamoron Apple iPad or a Microsoft tablet as a gift for someone, I choose to go with Microsoft, although I payed nearly the same price and ran the risk that the person I was giving it too, due to his lack of technological sophistication, would have preferred an iPad. I made the right decision and given the option he didn't want to exchange it for an iPad. I agree that more apps are needed, but that is being addressed swiftly; it seems people much rather have freedom than be jailed in by an iPad and turned into an Apple cashcow.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
With Windows 8 and with Microsoft and partners refining tablets (and Intel soon to release much improved mobile parts) - I can see peoples interest increase. It may not be as powerful as your desktop, but it would be nice to have a good (light) x86 tablet. With time, I think that Windows x86 tablets will become more competitive with the established mobile tablet market (iPad & Android).
Mind you, they will always be more expensive then their Android whitelabel counter-parts, but I don't see why you couldn't get a workable Windows 8 x86 tablet for $400 - $500 with decent specs (not a core i7 or have 8GB of RAM or have a 128GB SSD - might use cheap slow flash storage, but still be a serviceable device.)

mforce2

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006

Hallelujah, may Bill Gates be with you forever my son and protect you from Apple and Google. Everyone knows Windows everywhere is the future.
As you said it might not have apps and all that nonsense and people might prefer Android tablets or iPads but it's only because they haven't seen the light yet.
Thank God for consumers: it's just as expensive, it doesn't do as much but I bought it anyway.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
All of these hardware questions must be analyzed in the lens of the times. The global economic situation is still fragile. The choice often is not simply which is better or cheaper, but which is more reputable. A new Windows OS is an unknown quantity. A Windows tablet is an unknown quantity since it hasn't been done until recently. So, it makes sense that the pickup for anything that is new is going to be a little slow. Apple has more or less been seen as first to the tablet market, so much of the time it is the default response from consumers who aren't up for taking a risk. It's why Google's Android, despite its popularity, has taken so long to make serious traction against Apple's and its iOS. It's why Window's tablets have taken until now to show real growth numbers.
This applies not just to computers, but many industries. We are in a difficult financial situation globally. People don't have a lot of money to spend at will, and even those that do have certain psychological incentives not to (concern about if they'll be able to keep their jobs, if another crisis is around the corner). As such, the cycles on products have to lengthen. We have to do a better job at recognizing that. Potential successes are going to take a little more time to reveal themselves.

correction, the demand has been there the whole time. Companies are finally putting out tablets that are at an appropriate price, and with better quality than their first attempts.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I played with a Pro 2 weeks ago and was duly impressed with everything but the display... I wish it filled the whole tablet edge to edge instead of having those fat borders all the way around. Regardless... I'm trading in my ultrabook at work for a Pro... the ultrabook was primarily for travel (my regular laptop is a huge fat beast of an elitebook) and the Pro does everything I need it to do and then some.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I can flash my Android just under 2 minutes, then put back the apps. sync to my Google account just under 5 minutes.
Even my non-technical friend can figure it out by himself.
With Windows, none techie people still needs trained people to do it for them.

How much of this "growth" is just Microsoft releasing the Surface and Surface Pro in more countries? I'd say a lot of it.
Still, the Surface Pro is actually decent. If they can refine on it, fix some of its shortcomings, they have a potential winner. At least until the next craze (after tablets) begins, be it wearable computing or something else.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
You know, they can all brag about how many apps are in their app store, but with Windows, I already own all the applications I need and want anyway. All I want is a decent performing x86 compatible tablet that can handle an occasional Word document, check email on the road, maybe stream some Netflix, or whatever. A Jack-of-all-Trades tablet as an extension of my JoaT desktop. I am just not willing to spend a ton of $$$ on it.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
If you're a gamer wanting to get into the tablet scene for Windows, you're going to have to wait for the AMD Z-60 tablets to come out. Intel and nVidia graphics simply cannot compete. They've already announced them (particularly with Vizio) and from what I'm seeing they are extremely impressive.

(as a side note, the new comment interface at Tom's is completely broken.)

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Quote:
Given the choice of buying a jailinamoron Apple iPad or a Microsoft tablet as a gift for someone, I choose to go with Microsoft, although I payed nearly the same price and ran the risk that the person I was giving it too, due to his lack of technological sophistication, would have preferred an iPad. I made the right decision and given the option he didn't want to exchange it for an iPad. I agree that more apps are needed, but that is being addressed swiftly; it seems people much rather have freedom than be jailed in by an iPad and turned into an Apple cashcow.

lmao...typical Android fanboy. Worst than Apple fanboys at this point.
Look again, where does the poster say anything about android?

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
It's not a bad tablet OS. The reason why it stinks as a desktop OS is because it was clearly designed for mobile; not the desktop.

r3dl1n3

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

Judging by your post I'd say you haven't ever used a Windows 8 /RT tablet.. I can log in to any windows 8 /RT computer or tablet with my Microsoft account (which by the way can be ANY email address, MS doesn't force you to use their email Like Google does).. Once I sign in.. all my setting sync from SkyDrive.. including my Desktop background, favorites emails etc.. and if I want all my apps.. I just click the app store and it tells me what apps are missing and with one click I can install all of them.

spat55

Distinguished
I would rather have android on my tablet, if I got one and on my phone, as they run nice and light, have a good market and can be rooted fairly easily. I personally think windows should stay desktop side, although it could be good for businesses to have windows on there employees handhelds I find it holds back the desktop variant of windows os.

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Where on Earth are all these devices going?! We always hear about companies shipping millions upon millions of devices each year, or even each quarter both mobiles, tablets and PCs. I mean it makes sense that people upgrade but surely the market has to slow down some time? I guess there are around 7000 million but...phew there are lots of devices selling still. Will it last?

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
That is a good new for Microsoft. I just hope for the next Surface will be light, small, and more efficient battery life. Even I am a Apple fan with Grand Central Dispatch technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.