How to use extended desktop for 2 VGA monitors with a 7870?

Richard Cattley

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
I recently bought an XFX 7870 Core edition to replace my ageing 5770.
I had been able to connect two VGA monitors to the 5770 via two DVI to VGA adaptors, but the 7870 is only able to connect one monitor by this means, since the second DVI port is not VGA compatible. I bought an HDMI to VGA adaptor, hoping to connect the second monitor in this way. Unfortunately it is still unable to connect.

I had been running an extended desktop previously and I had rather hoped to do so again! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

That adapter should be working for you - plug it up and hit Windows+P. If not, something is wrong with the monitor, VGA cable, adapter, or HDMI port. I'd return the adapter if the monitor works when you swap it with your current one, and try a mini-DisplayPort to VGA adapter instead.

Richard Cattley

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion, still no luck though. I swapped the monitors over and tried the Windows key+P, but still no luck. Both monitors work, but only when plugged into that DVI port. I will try contacting XFX to see if they can help, and also keep in mind that mini-DisplayPort to VGA adaptor. It's just a sod to have to pay out again when know that you shouldn't have to. I'd hate to resort to going through the hassle of sending the card back!

Richard Cattley

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

I solved the problem, so I thought that I'd let you know so that you can mark the thread as solved! It turns out that it was as simple as my not having pushed the adaptor into the HDMI socket firmly enough. I used a little more brute force on it than I had previously felt safe to do (I last ditch attempt before going through the hassle of organising an RMA and whatnot!). I couldn't have been more pleased if my second monitor had flashed the word "BINGO!" upon the success :p

Thanks for advice and getting back to me so promptly :)