windows 7 crashing on start up

Archangel121

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
hi, my homebuilt computer starts up, and then once it reaches the loading right before the login stage, it crashes and restarts and does this on and on and on. my system specs:
amd phenom x6 1055t
amd radeon hd 6870
8 gigs ddr3 ripjaw ram
windows 7 64 bit

Archangel121

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Yes it has worked for 2 Years. 2 days ago it kept crashing so i put new drivers on and ran antivirus scanners and then it was fine. i thne got new windows updates, that always stopped downloading, and as i restart the computer, thats when it happened. Is it possible to reinstall windows without loosing all of the data currently on the harddrive?

Archangel121

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
took out RAM sticks and tried each and it wasnt the RAM. turned overclocking off and it wasnt that either. i also tried reinstalling windows but it would not let me download windows 7 on any of the partitions. i also tried the fixing of the system, where it then only said that it could not be fixed and asked me to send the information to microsoft

Archangel121

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
i cant get on my desktop computer. right now i am on my laptop. my desktop will not even get to the login screen. it crashes before i get to that and restarts and the cycle goes on like that

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

No, i mean can you get into safe mode by hitting F8 repeatedly when your desktop first comes on (usually you'll see the PC manufacturer's logo *not Microsoft* or the motherboard logo or some plain text)? You won't get into safe mode when you get to the login screen.

Archangel121

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
i came into safe mode and it asks me to boot from a device. if i choose the hardrive it asks me to start windows normally where it will crash. or i can do startup help in which case it looks for problems but doesnt find any. if i choose boot from cd i have my windows 7 in. howver if i try to reinstall it says that i cannot install windows on any of the partitions

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
You should get this screen when hitting F8:
windows-7-f8.jpg

If not you might be hitting the wrong button.

Archangel121

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
got to that part...finally. the repair your computer option does not work. it looks for problems but cant find any. the safe modes wont work either. should i try the other options?

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Try last known good configuration. I think that only works though if you set up restore points regularly. Otherwise i would suggest trying a known working hard drive and see if you can install Windows 7 on that. It might be possible your hard drive is badly corrupted or malfunctioning.

PC tec

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

NEVER restart the computer when updates are being installed. You can try running a backup (if you have one) If you don't have a backup you will have to reinstall. If it is windows run start up repair when you start your computer