I have never over-clocked a processor before and want to over clock my i5 2500k to 4 ghz

woahxitsxdanny

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hello guys. I have never over-clocked any processor before and need to know the exact settings to over clock my i5 2500k to 4 GHz. Would 1.26v be a good amount? I am really new to this so I need help finding out what settings to change in the BIOS and what not. Thanks.

firo40

Splendid
There is no exact setting it depends on your motherboard. Some motherboards can handle high overclocks with lower voltage settings. Your going to need a stress testing program like prime95, which pushes the cpu to 100% usage to test stability. Once you have your mutlipliar and voltage where you want it run prime95 for a few hours to see what temps you get and if its stable. If its not stable you will blue screen and your computer will restart. Have you purchased an after market cooler aswell? Becuase overclocking that high requires a good aftermarket cooler your not going to reach that frequency on a stock cooler.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
which motherboard you have ? there are some motherboard which have like profiles of overclocking like 5% , 10 % ,15 % and 20% if you select any one of them the motherboard will auto adjust all things just u need to take care is of temp

if your mobo have this option then use this other wise do it manualy

dragonsamus

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
What mobo do you have? I would recommend reading a bit before trying to overclock. But if you want to jump right in change your multiplier to 40 and leave voltage on auto. That should overclock you to 4.0 Ghz. You might even be and to get up to 4.4 Ghz.

I strongly urge you to study what you're doing first, you're supplying no information to really help you, no listed hardware specs at all, no CPU cooling solution, and even for just 4ghz you'll need some kind of an after market cooling solution.

Most guides would have told you that from the beginning along with all the cautions you need to learn to be overclocking in the first place.

Learn first then do!

Or suffer the consequences.

Best guide suggestion!

With all due respect this THGF guide recommendation has not been updated the first time since it was written March 1 2011.

Safest suggestion for you firo40, if you will not study what you're doing.