Average Joe Gamer Looking for computer advice

Aaron Lucero

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hey I use my desktop mostly for gaming. I don't know a whole bunch about PCs just enough to get by. I want to run games at optimal settings as does everyone, but I do not know where to start in terms of upgrading hardware. I'm not concerned about load times or things of that matter, I want to have a high FPS. According to game requirements my rig should be able to max it out, but there are occasional frame rate drops and it 'sounds' like my computer is working very hard. Is it a software issue? Maybe the games aren't optimized? Maybe I just need better cooling? Here are some of my system specs let me know if I should provide more information. Please leave your comments and some tips or advice on how to optimize my pcs performance.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Memory (RAM) 9.00 GB
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

Update*: [strike]Thank you for all the responses. I've decided that I should upgrade the Processor. Are there any suggestions of what i should get? I'm willing to spend somewhere between 100-300 dollars I want the best bang for my buck.[/strike]

Update**: Great advice from everyone. I now understand that it should be the graphics card/cooling I should be working on. I don't really want to update the graphics card since I just did that around December, but I'll consider it.
This is the stock computer I got 4 years ago around $700 http://www.123inkcartridges.ca/computer-and-part/SYS_Asus_CG5290.html
The only things I put in it was a new graphics card (Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570) and a 750watt power source.
I'm thinking that upgrading the case and cooling of the desktop is the best option, as the power source and graphics card don't fit quite right. Any suggestions on a cheap flexible case that has great airflow? Also any fan/cooling suggestions? Thanks for all the feedback, when it comes to hardware I'm completely lost :).

Side note: I've been playing Max Payne 3 and I haven't had problems running on the defaulted 'high' settings. Also tried playing Sim City 4, a bit sluggish on large cities. Alice: Madness Returns, frame rate drop at smoke effects. Batman arkham city, it's okay but fps drops near smoke, or many small particles etc. (1920x1080 resolution for all games). Compared to the system requirements of games such as these, my pc should be able to handle it, maybe poor console to pc ports. I guess the main reason for this topic, is my rig becoming outdated, is the hardware just worn out needing a replacement (not updated), or basic maintenance is needed proper cooling cleaning etc?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
It's a decent setup but the processor is 4 years old and is showing it's age. It's really dependent on the game if it's CPU bound or graphics bound.

If you're just looking for more FPS you can drop the resolution a notch. A newer generation 28nm video card could breath some life into the system, which can still be used if you upgrade the CPU/MB later.

That amount of memory is fine unless you're still running Vista. You want at least 12GB for Vista.

Have you installed the latest video drivers? That could help.

Get a great HSF like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 - it sounds like your CPU may be overheating and throttling. You don't need 12GB for any OS, btw. A GTX 660Ti or 670 would be a great upgrade, and they run newer games better than Fermi cards.

Aaron Lucero

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks for the answer. Would you have any suggestions on how to update my processor? Anything specific specs I should be looking for including its compatibility? Best bang for my buck?

Apr 30, 2013

You do not need to upgrade your processor. The i7 920 is a great processor. You need a better cooler though like the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ or EVO. There isn't much of a performance difference between them, so it's your personal choice there.

Hyper 212+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
EVO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=cooler%20master%20evo&IsVirtualParent=1

The main component you need to upgrade is your graphics card. I recommend an Nvidia GTX 660 TI 2GB card. It is $299.99 after the rebate. It also has great performance and will automatically overclock itself accord to your performance needs. It's really quiet too.

Nvidia GTX 660 TI 2GB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127696

Also, if you don't have the money to upgrade now, hit your processor cooler and your graphics card with compressed air. Maybe that will take some of the load off (they sound under stress, possibly from overheating).

ohyouknow

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
For gaming don't bother upgrading that proc. The GPU is solid as well, just on par with a GTX 660. Monitor your temperatures and list your components. Are you running a prebuilt/oem with a GPU inside? What games are you playing/resolution? Need a lot more info before suggesting you throw down money.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

That series maxed out with the i7-980 which is a hex core. 3.33Ghz/3.6Ghz. Unfortunately they're still pretty rare and expensive even used. $500+

It's cheaper to buy a new i5 w/motherboard which not only has higher clock speed but 2 core revisions newer.

With $300 budget I would get a graphics card first as they won't be changing much in the next year. You'll still be CPU bound at higher resolutions but gaming will be a lot smoother at medium settings.

With Haswell and Steamroller coming out this year we'll see who the new gaming king is.

I basically did the same thing last year. My 920 was showing its age and upgraded to HD 7850 first. It helped a good amount but going to the i5-3570K made a bigger difference all around.