Computer makes disconnection sound whenever I get shocked

platinum928

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
For a while, any time I bumped my computer or moved my headphone cord, my computer would make the "usb device disconnected" noise. I assumed it was just a bad connection on my headphones, but after disconnecting them for a while I'm not so sure.

The computer still makes the noise even when the headphones are disconnected, and I've realized now that it happens every time I get shocked in my room.. even if I'm not touching the computer. If I get shocked by my light switch or anything else that is plugged into an outlet in my room, the computer will make the disconnection sound.

As a side note, and to make things even more odd, when the headphones DO happen to be plugged in, they will disconnect for a moment when the noise goes off. It's just for a second, and they immediately come back on - this only happens with the headphones though, nothing else (mouse/keyboard/wifi adapter) will actually disconnect when this happens.

If anyone knows anything about this - how to fix it or why it could be happening - and wants to share it would be greatly appreciated.

I am running Windows 7 64bit home premium by the way.

macten

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've got a short. The problem is where. How to fix it may or may not be that hard depending on what's touching what and where. I'd start by checking all of the smaller cables, like your case speaker, and see if you can see any cuts or nicks. If not then I guess it could be possible your motherboard isn't properly installed, may be shorting out to the case?

platinum928

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
Ok here's an update to my issue. I tried using my headphones on my laptop for a bit to see if there was any issue with them. Nothing was wrong so I plugged them back into my PC. When I did this, the computer completely froze. This has happened in the past - sometimes when I plug things into a USB port the computer freezes and I have to restart. I restarted the computer and it would not boot up.

It kept giving me an error that said "The data in the EC or EC flash might be corrupted. Please contact ASUS tech support for help. System will shut down in 15 seconds.

This freaked me out a bit, but after doing some research I figured out how to reset the CMOS and I was able to restore the BIOS to default settings. Now my computer is running, but I'm scared to use my headphones now! Is there a way to make sure my USB ports are working before I start plugging stuff in, and how do I fix them if something is wrong?

By the way while I was restarting the CMOS I looked around at all the cables to check for cuts or touching wires and I didn't find any.

macten

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Well, I'd plug in some sort of peripheral that was giving your problems before and see what happens. I'm still not convinced that you don't have a short somewhere. I work on computers for a living but I'm not as experienced at installing motherboards as some others here are. But I'm wondering if a motherboard short could be causing this.

TRENDING THREADS