Intel i5 3570K vs AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black

castlechef

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
Sorry that this question has been asked thousands of times, but I really don't understand it. Both the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black and the Intel i5 3570K processors have 4 cores, 3.4GHz processing speed and 6mb cache, so what is it that makes the Intel over double the price? I understand that it is more powerful, but what does that actually mean, I mean they run at the same speed and have the same amound of cache, what else is in it? And if I wanted to buy a CPU for up to around £80 what would you suggest. A slight bit of gaming but mainly web, videos and music.
Thanks anyone who helps, it would be greatly appricated!

Just because both clock speeds are 3.4GHz, it doesn't mean that they are the same. For example, the AMD Phenom may require more clock cycles to do the same amount of work as the Intel i5 one. Hence why the Phenom one is slower. So unless you're comparing the same exact product, there's no reason to look at just the clock speed.

The i5 has a newer arch, is overall faster in both single-threaded and multi-threaded applications, comes with a HD 4000 GPU whereas the Phenom doesn't have any, has higher OC speeds, runs cooler, and uses less power.