Can someone help with Xeon motherboard - power supply compatibility issue??

Techie wannabe

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Hello. i have a single Xeon L5320 (50 watts) quad core processor mounted in a Supermicro X7DVL-L motherboard with brand new matching pc2 5300 2gb sticks (correctly mounted in the proper Dimm slots) ... Unfortunately, as soon as the system boots past the bios screen and into the windows sytem the power supply begins emitting a loud high pitched sound and forces a shut down .... Also, the motherboard heat sinks and the ram become too hot to touch in that short amount of time ... I am wondering if my power supply is inadequate and is the cause of the extremely quick overheat problem ... The power supply is an Echo Star rated at 680 watts .... I am somewhat of a novice as i have only built 3 desktop pcs and have zero experience with Xeon server processors .... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mieze

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Sorry, but I wonder why people never read reviews before they purchase a product. It's so simple in todays age...

I don't know the reason for your current problem, but if you type your PSU's name into a common search engine, you will find this restult http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6714
and within the first this
http://www.amazon.com/Echo-Star-680W-4-pin-PCI-Express/dp/B00246CJL6

It seems likely, your problems and PSU Choice are related to each other. If possible I would try to power the Computer with a different PSU.

Techie wannabe

Honorable
May 1, 2013
The snide comments are amusing but not very helpful ... OK, so my power supply is apparently way overrated (although it has no problem powering my 95 watt AMD Phenom x3 and cant seem to handle the 50 watt Xeon quad core) .... I was hoping someone would shed a little more light on the situation and possibly recommend a reasonably priced power supply that agrees with my mb/cpu ....

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Snide comments aside, you failed to mention earlier that the EchoStar PSU worked fine in a separate system leaving everyone to only guess that the $25 PSU was the issue.

1. Have you tried any other PSU with the Intel based motherboard in question?
2. What additional peripherals does the Intel board have?