Sign in with
Your question

Dell Loud FAN

Last response: in CPUs
May 1, 2013 3:27:42 PM

I have a P4 2.80GHz cpu then i upgraded to a 3.80GHz P4 My computer is a dell dimension 4700 after installed the processor my fan is always loud its the cpu fan thats loud not the power supply's fan then i bought this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Dimension-8400-Fan-Shroud-...
i put that in and its still loud how to fix this thank you

More about : dell loud fan

a c 113 à CPUs
May 1, 2013 4:06:42 PM

Can you install a better HSF? Are you sure the one you bought is for the 3.8GHz CPU that probably generates a lot more heat than the original 2.8GHz CPU?
May 1, 2013 4:21:46 PM

GhislainG said:
Can you install a better HSF? Are you sure the one you bought is for the 3.8GHz CPU that probably generates a lot more heat than the original 2.8GHz CPU?

Yes thats for 3.2Ghz and faster and yes the cpu takes 115w and thats the best heatsink
Related resources
a c 113 à CPUs
May 1, 2013 6:46:03 PM

Is there a setting in the BIOS to adjust the processor fan speed?
May 1, 2013 6:58:13 PM

GhislainG said:
Is there a setting in the BIOS to adjust the processor fan speed?

Nope Dell is crazy with limiting the BIOS
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2013 7:04:41 PM

Just fan moving air loud or loud like it's scraping or vibrating something?

I've had those types make extra noise before because the clips don't hold the fan tight enough. Some electrical tape can usually fill the gap or even folded paper.
May 1, 2013 7:11:36 PM

Cazalan said:
Just fan moving air loud or loud like it's scraping or vibrating something?

I've had those types make extra noise before because the clips don't hold the fan tight enough. Some electrical tape can usually fill the gap or even folded paper.

Everything is tight clips are tight no vibration
a c 113 à CPUs
May 1, 2013 7:34:24 PM

Did you check the CPU temperature? Is it high enough to justify full fan speed?
May 1, 2013 9:25:24 PM

Pentium 4's don't have CPU temp checking but i felt the heat-sink and it was cool not warm cool
a b à CPUs
May 1, 2013 11:17:56 PM

Have you tried cleaning off the fan with a can of compressed air?
a c 113 à CPUs
May 2, 2013 5:13:49 AM

If the BIOS won't allow setting Quiet (or whatever Dell calls it) mode, there may be a problem with the motherboard. Did the issue start before or after installing the 3.8GHz CPU? If after, does it work normally if you reinstall the 2.8GHZ CPU?
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2013 12:21:22 PM

To help with diagnostic can you please state your original CPU model and current one - the problem can be in insufficient CPU heatsink, which has to be upgraded to cope with higher temps.
May 3, 2013 6:03:35 PM

the current one im using is the 3.80GHz Pentium 670
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2013 6:24:41 PM

I will come back tomorrow, on the way to work now, there is one more thing left to ask - what BIOS version you have now? The latest? If not do not upgrade till tomorrow, I need to check compatibility.
If you don't know your BIOS version, google CPUID get it, install and check, and post.
I will be back tomorrow.
May 4, 2013 9:29:22 AM

Dell Dimension System BIOS, A10
May 4, 2013 9:30:42 AM

Also dell dimension can support only up to 570 but im using the 670 pentium 4
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2013 10:38:27 AM

How did you choose your new CPU cooler?
Let me summarize your past and present processor thermal parameters
Pentium 520 2.8GHz
Electrical / Thermal parameters
V core ? 1.2V - 1.425V
Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 5°C - 67.7°C
Minimum/Maximum power dissipation ? 54.28 Watt (Stop Grant mode) / 100.78 Watt
Thermal Design Power ? 84 Watt

Pentium 670 3.8GHz
Electrical / Thermal parameters
V core ? 1.2V - 1.4V
Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 5°C - 70.8°C
Minimum/Maximum power dissipation ? 81.78 Watt (Stop Grant mode) / 148.16 Watt
Thermal Design Power ? 115 Watt

Increase even that small is very serious in PC CPU cooling.

So I need to examine your cooler choice more carefully.
May 4, 2013 12:14:35 PM

Wow More HEAT so what can i do
May 4, 2013 12:17:20 PM

This is what i have now

this is what i had before
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2013 12:36:58 PM

Do you know part numbers for both items? Or links please...
May 4, 2013 1:21:43 PM

i know the part number for the square looking one is called m5051
and the one with copper pipes is W4254
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2013 5:36:20 PM

I am busy now for long talk, will spend a bit more time after weekend, another question, how you come up with idea of changing cooler - as someone said earlier, there is no temp measurement with those processors. And last question, if you know, what is LGA socket you have, basically how you come up with idea that new cooler will mount fine instead of old one.
There is long talk about Dell cooling management, I went through similar situation, hope to explain tomorrow am (my time, lol).
May 5, 2013 8:23:35 AM

well when i was using it with the fan was so loud and i checked the heatsink and it was hot then the pc shutdown with and thermal heat error when i was searching for a heat sink i found the W4254 which worked with the dell 8400 for 3.2GHz and faster so i bought it
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2013 10:08:49 AM

Let me first talk a little bit about Dell cooling.
Regarding fan issues in many if not all cheap Dell models. Inspiron, Dimension, Optiplex and Vostro considered cheap models and as such don't have software fan control, meaning that BIOS and motherboard are controlling fan speeds, no matter what program you will try, I tried to, but I could not increase fan speeds, even when CPU was overheating. This is part where I am guessing: original CPUs are very low wattage and low heat producers, so BIOS and MOBO adjusted to for those parameters, when you place much stronger, and therefore more heat producing CPU in, it requires more power and produces more heat, however motherboard doesn't know this and continue to operate as if it is still low heat producing CPU.
In your particular situation you most likely still have original CPU fan, am I correct?

Oh, man, you got me into long explanation

Next reply I will show many important pictures, so every one else can help without looking for this.

May 5, 2013 10:14:03 AM

I have the orginal cpu fan but i have a upgraded one that came with the heatsink with the copper pipes
and yeah that was a long explanation
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2013 10:54:35 AM

OK, lets examine your PC in pictures. I will number each picture and explanation, so if you want to comment, please DO NOT QUOTE ME FOR THE SAKE OF WASTING SPACE!

1. This is your PC with CPU cooler removed, pay attention to the line of yellow "things" called mosfets (transistors)

Dell deigned its cooling system so that it will cool them as well, that is why there is a shroud (green box over CPU), if you did not use shroud the overall system is not effective, and to the worst of this, those mosfets might overheat and melt - the end of your motherboard.

2. This is how your original PC was looks like with old CPU cooler and shroud, am I correct?

3. So this is the original shroud which you can not use any more since you have now new tower CPU cooler, am I correct? Did you get new shroud as well?

And another larger picture of ORIGINAL shroud

Pay special attention to the part on picture where the wire is coiled, this part directs air onto those mosfets - now the gruesome news, you probably know this already or would be thinking about it.
THIS IS NOT EXHAUST FAN, BUT AN INTAKE FAN! This fan blows fresh air over mosfets and through CPU cooler, into the case, this is old unpleasant Dell design, I have the same on the PC I am typing this, XPS Gen3, so I know!

4. This is the part you should have, new shroud for your tower CPU, if you have it already, please tell me where the fan is blows, where air is directed, inside the case or outside (exhaust). Unfortunately I have "dirty" pictures.

And another view

And last one, clean but small, but you got the idea

5. This is original 5 pin/4 wire fan for 4700 http://cpufans.ecrater.com/p/5156787/dell-fan-dimension...

6. So, some information about CPU intake fan, please correct me if I am wrong
Quote:
The fan is not a standard 92mm x 25mm fan. It will either be 92mm x 32mm or 92mm x 38mm and should have a special 5 pin connector that connects to the motherboard fan header. It will be mounted with rubber shock mounts (unless the original configuration has been changed). If the fan is changed the rubber shock mounts (called rubber screws) should also be changed.

I really hate proprietary Dell connectors...

7. So basically you need this part, I hope I am right (in terms of part number) http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=1076 link provided for information only, have no idea where it is located.

And fan should blow inside.

8. Look at someone else drawing, it is telling me that you are not the first one to deal with this problem.

9. And now, here someone discussing similar problem, why should we think too much, lets see what others did in this case http://www.overclock.net/t/570434/modding-a-dell-dimens...

10. Just in case verify is it your PSU shown below - we have to know you connectors and specs, just in case. Dell Dimension 4700 8400 350W Power Supply PSU (F4284 L350N-00) Wrong power supply

Qty. Connector
(See table for picture and description)
1 24-pin ATX mainboard power
1 4-pin ATX 12V mainboard power
3 4-pin peripheral power (Molex)
2 15-pin serial ATA (SATA) power
1 4-pin Berg floppy drive power
1 6-pin PCI Express power
1 6-pin Dell P6 connector

Dell Part Number: F4284
Model Number: L350N-00, PS-6351-1DS
Compatible Part Numbers: G4265, U4714, Y2682, C4849
Compatible Model Numbers: L350P-00, PS-6351-1DFS, N350N-00, NPS-350DB A

So, please clarify ,my statements so I know where you are located in terms of your upgrade.

DO NOT QUOTE THE WHOLE THING PLEASE.
May 5, 2013 11:55:08 AM

Yes I had the Original Shroud but the new tower heatsink i dont have a shroud to cover the heatsink and my fan blows out of the case and im not using the original fan im using T4307 Nidec also the power supply is 305 watts not 350 watts
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2013 5:56:52 PM

One question first - can you provide model of your PSU, so I don't have to guess, thank you.
Regarding cooling. You have basically 2 choices right now, the easy and possibly effective and more difficult and possibly more effective.
The first one. You need to get the shroud for the "new" cooler, you installed, once you get the shroud you must keep tha fan to blow air inside, the way it was originally designed, so that those orange Mosfets get cooled.
Second option. You would have to improvise a lot to mount at least one fan to CPU cooler tower directly and see if this helps, most likely you must mount this fan as low as possible so it would blow air from inside out on
those Mosfets. If this works, it would be more efficient design. But it could be challenging.
So if I got to choose, I would try to get this shroud for very cheap and try it - if it is works then lucky me, if it doesn't then I lost about $5 or so only, not a big deal. It is very difficult to predict any outcome in cases of Dell upgrades.
So make you decision, I will help as much as I can in any cases.
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2013 7:00:36 PM

In this case I really need your power supply model, because you would have to use spare connectors to power your fan!

Also, measure how wide is your CPU cooler is, I prefer millimeters since all fans sold have mm abbreviation.
I suspect that you need 92mm fan, but it is only suspicion!
Another thing, you will need zip ties, something like this, you can buy them anywhere, the cheaper the better, just a picture so you know what I mean

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2013 8:30:58 PM

Based on the picture you provided, your PSU model is n305p-06

This is much better picture of PSU specs

Connectors:

• 1x 24-Pin ATX Power Connector
• 1x 4-Pin ATX Power Connector
• 4x SATA Power Connectors
• 1x Floppy Power Connector

Now question on your parts. You have at least 1 DVDR and at least 1 HDD, so what is really installed in your PC, please provide number of hard drives and optical drives, why, because you need spare power connectors for additional fan or fans!
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2013 9:07:28 PM

Now lets finalize what we have done and what you have to do and buy.
In order to place a fan on CPU cooler you need one fan, about $7-10, one connector about $4, zip ties $2 or so, plus all those items will require for you to pay shipping, so on minimum you are looking into at least $13 plus unknown shipping costs, so you would easily go over $20 USD, and there would be huge headache to put things together.

If you decide to go standard, Dell's way, you will need only one part N4399

http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=1076 ship from California, unit price $5.5 plus $8.60 for shipping equal $14.10.
Installation should be easy, since certain models of 4700 were sold with this, so it should be plug and play, and also someone else tested this already http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/332610-28-dell-dimens...
I think you read his post prior to upgrading, am I correct.
So this option seems cheaper and easier to be installed, it is a clear winner!
Please relax and think again about those options........
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2013 9:25:13 PM

OK Kisianik, Ive been looking over everything like you asked. (To the OP) Please don't find this question insulting if it sounds stupid, But, I noticed that the heat sink you bought was used. Did you clean off the old thermal past and re-apply new thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU?

The other thing I noticed was that your Fan and shroud part # is T4307 whereas mine is #N4399 which is for the 8400 not the 4700. while the shrouds look the same the fan might be different. I know that the CPU fan header on the 4700 motherboard is propitiatory and will not work right with a typical fan but, since it's been a while since I upgraded my 4700 I don't off hand remember what those differences are.

As long as the thermal paste thing is OK I have a feeling the propitiatory fan port on the MB is the problem it may be different than the 8400 connector or if your using a different fan that would most likely cause an issue.
a b à CPUs
May 6, 2013 10:32:35 PM

Well Kisianik it looks like you got it all solved while I was writing my post. The OP should definitely go with the OEM (#N4399) fan and shroud route since the dell MB connector is propitiatory and very possibly the fan as well. The OEM shroud is also important since it is designed to cool the mosfets as well. If you want better aftermarket cooling (aftermarket heat sink and fan) this mother board was not designed with the holes necessary to accomplish this. However you could add a small 40mm fan to the open side of the heat sink with zip ties to improve cooling while still keeping the shroud in place and not sacrificing your mosfets.:D 

a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 7:30:14 AM

Idonno said:
Well Kisianik it looks like you got it all solved while I was writing my post. The OP should definitely go with the OEM (#N4399) fan and shroud route since the dell MB connector is propitiatory and very possibly the fan as well. The OEM shroud is also important since it is designed to cool the mosfets as well. If you want better aftermarket cooling (aftermarket heat sink and fan) this mother board was not designed with the holes necessary to accomplish this. However you could add a small 40mm fan to the open side of the heat sink with zip ties to improve cooling while still keeping the shroud in place and not sacrificing your mosfets.:D 

Thanks Idonno for stepping in.

If mosfets are hot, your motherboard thinks that CPU is overheating - so fan runs at maximum speed, I think this is the answer to the original question!

a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 8:02:16 AM

windowshacker said:

Not true the 670's supported with the A10 bios.
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 8:24:09 AM

Idonno said:
windowshacker said:

Not true the 670's supported with the A10 bios.

I think OP meant officially supported, which is sounds like Dell.
Example. I have Inspiron 570, officially the strongest CPU is Phenom II x4 945, however I found out that BIOS supports Phenom II x4 965 BE.
May 7, 2013 2:55:37 PM

okay i just mounted the fan it seems to be more louder now
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 3:28:18 PM

I think that you have to get the shroud I advised, because you are burning Mosfets! Other way becoming useless!!!
May 7, 2013 4:04:19 PM

True i have the shroud that came with the heatsink but it cant fit properly
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 4:14:34 PM

windowshacker said:
True i have the shroud that came with the heatsink but it cant fit properly

What do you mean cannot fit? Explain please.
May 7, 2013 4:24:14 PM

the shroud i think is for the dell 8400
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 5:19:57 PM

You really need to get the right OEM part (#N4399) then that will most likely solve all your issues. The 4700 uses a 5-pin/4-wire Delta fan with PWM with (from what I can remember) a different wiring order than a typical PWM fan.

I also know that some dell dimensions used fans that had a thermal thermal sensor in the fan hub itself. There are many configurations amongst the different dell dimensions from the same era.

Many people switched the fan direction from blowing in to blowing out to improve case temps. Dell has always recommended against this and with a used unit that would be something you would want to check if you had the right one in the first place.

Here is a quote directly from dell on that issue:
Quote:
Some users have incorrectly suggested that the fans were installed backwards. While this airflow is the opposite of other Dimension models using the same chassis, the reverse airflow is intentional. The Dimension 4700 uses a different motherboard and CPU voltage regulator design than other Dimension systems, one that is very effective and efficient, but requires direct airflow. To achieve this, air is pulled in through the back of the chassis, across the CPU heat sink and voltage regulator, then out the front of the chassis. In short, if the case fan on the rear of the case pulls air inwards, it is installed correctly. The fan should not be reversed! Doing so may increase the risk of damage to the CPU voltage regulator by overheating.

windowshacker said:
the shroud i think is for the dell 8400
It does have an 8400 part number so I'm not surprised. Most likely both the fan and the shroud are different for the 4700.

Bottom line: you need to get the right part for your PC using half measures like 8400 parts won't cut it. Then you need to install them correctly (shroud and all) to achieve the proper results. IMO all successful companies are thrifty including Dell, they didn't include extra parts just to waste money.

Kisianik posted this link http://www.centrix-intl.com/details.asp?productid=1076 where you can get the brand new OEM parts (#N4399 which is for both the OEM Fan and Shroud) at a very reasonable price. This should solve all your issues here.

a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 6:04:17 PM

I applaud you, Idonno, with your Dell's quote, where you get it from, link please - I have myself similar setup with XPS GEN3 on which I am typing now, and sometime ago I was thinking about reversing my fan as well, it took me long time to come up with the same conclusion, I wish someone helped me with that quote about 3-4 years ago.
So this is my SUPER cooling setup, LOL well it is working and not so noisy

May 7, 2013 6:14:33 PM

what processor are you using with your XPS Gen3
a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 6:16:18 PM

Kisianik said:
I applaud you, Idonno, with your Dell's quote, where you get it from, link please

Here you go: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

I've also added fans to my 4700 one on the hard drive cage (closest to the center of the case) blowing on the drive, One on the side panel blowing on the video card and one under the front bezel to blow air out.

a b à CPUs
May 7, 2013 6:27:13 PM

windowshacker said:
what processor are you using with your XPS Gen3

Pentium 4 3.4GHz HT or full name Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott, XP Home 32 bit 4GB RAM (2x2GB) actual RAM in use only 3GB, 3 SATA I HDDs, 2 of them have coolers and there is small fan as you can see mounted outside and it works for the third one without cooler, and it also adds air to GPU, which is 8800GT Dual, the rest is standard more or less.

!