Dell Loud FAN

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Yes thats for 3.2Ghz and faster and yes the cpu takes 115w and thats the best heatsink

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Just fan moving air loud or loud like it's scraping or vibrating something?

I've had those types make extra noise before because the clips don't hold the fan tight enough. Some electrical tape can usually fill the gap or even folded paper.

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Everything is tight clips are tight no vibration

If the BIOS won't allow setting Quiet (or whatever Dell calls it) mode, there may be a problem with the motherboard. Did the issue start before or after installing the 3.8GHz CPU? If after, does it work normally if you reinstall the 2.8GHZ CPU?

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I will come back tomorrow, on the way to work now, there is one more thing left to ask - what BIOS version you have now? The latest? If not do not upgrade till tomorrow, I need to check compatibility.
If you don't know your BIOS version, google CPUID get it, install and check, and post.
I will be back tomorrow.

How did you choose your new CPU cooler?
Let me summarize your past and present processor thermal parameters
Pentium 520 2.8GHz
Electrical / Thermal parameters
V core ? 1.2V - 1.425V
Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 5°C - 67.7°C
Minimum/Maximum power dissipation ? 54.28 Watt (Stop Grant mode) / 100.78 Watt
Thermal Design Power ? 84 Watt

Pentium 670 3.8GHz
Electrical / Thermal parameters
V core ? 1.2V - 1.4V
Minimum/Maximum operating temperature ? 5°C - 70.8°C
Minimum/Maximum power dissipation ? 81.78 Watt (Stop Grant mode) / 148.16 Watt
Thermal Design Power ? 115 Watt

Increase even that small is very serious in PC CPU cooling.

So I need to examine your cooler choice more carefully.

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

This is what i have now
Dell-Dimension-4700-CPU-Heatsink-M5050.jpg

this is what i had before

I am busy now for long talk, will spend a bit more time after weekend, another question, how you come up with idea of changing cooler - as someone said earlier, there is no temp measurement with those processors. And last question, if you know, what is LGA socket you have, basically how you come up with idea that new cooler will mount fine instead of old one.
There is long talk about Dell cooling management, I went through similar situation, hope to explain tomorrow am (my time, lol).

windowshacker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
well when i was using it with the fan was so loud and i checked the heatsink and it was hot then the pc shutdown with and thermal heat error when i was searching for a heat sink i found the W4254 which worked with the dell 8400 for 3.2GHz and faster so i bought it

Let me first talk a little bit about Dell cooling.
Regarding fan issues in many if not all cheap Dell models. Inspiron, Dimension, Optiplex and Vostro considered cheap models and as such don't have software fan control, meaning that BIOS and motherboard are controlling fan speeds, no matter what program you will try, I tried to, but I could not increase fan speeds, even when CPU was overheating. This is part where I am guessing: original CPUs are very low wattage and low heat producers, so BIOS and MOBO adjusted to for those parameters, when you place much stronger, and therefore more heat producing CPU in, it requires more power and produces more heat, however motherboard doesn't know this and continue to operate as if it is still low heat producing CPU.
In your particular situation you most likely still have original CPU fan, am I correct?

Oh, man, you got me into long explanation

Next reply I will show many important pictures, so every one else can help without looking for this.