Laptop showing limited access but android phone is working fine

Arvind Gangwar

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I have a home router TP-Link WR841(say main router) and a Dlink DSL2750(say second router).
On my main router I have turned DHCP on with address reservation. All the devices connected to this are working fine.
After reading an article To extend the range on another floor I connected my old Dlink DSL 2750 router port to main router with LAN port.
I have turned off DHCP on this Second router.
My problem is whenever I connect any laptop to this second router it does not work most of the times showing limited access, surprisingly it works sometimes too. But whenever i connect my Xperia U phone to this second router it ALWAYS works. I never understand why is it so?
I have done some unsuccessful troubleshooting which might give you guys some clues.
*Correct IP (say 192.168.0.15) is assigned to laptop as per my address reservation list in main router.
*I am able to ping this second router from any laptop connected to main router.
*From the laptop connected to this second router I am able to ping it but NOT to ping the main router and that is the issue.
*I have checked all the settings in laptop and restarted both the router several times.
please ask any further details if you need and help me to solve it.

Laurance22

Honorable
May 5, 2013
On another thread, I posted a procedure that fixed a similar issue. Here is something you might at least try:

1) On the laptop that is not working, go into device manager and remove all network adapters. Then reboot. Windows will automatically restore the drivers.
2) Change the starting address for your assigned DHCP addresses. Hopefully, you can afford to have new IP addresses assigned to your LAN devices.
3) Turn off all computers connected to your LAN. Then, turn them on - but turn on your offending laptop last. All devices should now be assigned new IP addresses. The computers that worked before should work now.
4) Do an ipconfig/all on your offending laptop, and make sure it got a fresh IP address, and nothing looks funny.
5) Turn everything off in your entire network. Computers, router & modem (Hard reset your modem)
6) Wait 10 minutes and then turn everything back on in this order: modem, router, computers that work, laptop that doesn't work

This procedure worked for me, and my laptop that connected, but couldn't ping the main router could now access the internet and is blazingly fast. I can't explain exactly what step may have really solved the issue, but I suspect that forcing new DHCP addresses to be assigned was the key. During all of the frustrating troubleshooting, I once got a message that one of my computers did not have a unique IP address. I couldn't reproduce the message, but it gave me some insight as to what may have been going on.

Good luck.

Muhammad Moazzam

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

idk that if it'll work for you but I have the same problem so I just goto the network and sharing centre => Change adapter Settings => then I disabled the other adapters say local area connection and other was wireless network connection (Microsoft Virtual WiFi miniport...) and let my wireless connection (Atheros xxxxxx.....) enabled which was by default now its working just fine...
My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and network adapter name is atheros .... whatever and secondly i did not update the drivers

Rares Lapadus

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
hello , i had the same issue and it was very frustrating , after i read many posts about this i finally managed to solve it . What I did was :
-go into device manager
-go to network adapters
-right click on your wifi card and click update driver software
-then hit search my computer for driver software
-click on let me pick from a list of devices drivers on my computer
-uncheck compatible hardware
-select an older version of the driver , and that's all . I have win 8.1 and now it works good

Did you see that this post is from May of last year?